Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I had some of these Alaska Studebakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izu7kV_HV4k

That's an impressive collection, right there...and so many of them appear to run.

The aggregate amount of work that has been done by all the trucks in that collection is astonishing. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I see many Stude trucks there. Is that Cleve's place?

Comment

I saw a video of someone that found a old Studebaker truck in Alaska ,they added gas , jumped it and fired it up and drove it away .
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I would guess that all these GI issue Studebaker's have been in Alaska since 1942.

Studebaker was the principal truck used to construct the ALCAN Highway and was the first vehicle to drive it after it was completed.

The Alaska Transportation Museum in Wasilla has three of these trucks.

There are two additional very rusty examples in the roadside ALCAN Highway Museum in Glenallen.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Some are Studebakers and some are GM........Keep on Studebakering

Comment

So is this a gm or a Studebaker? Feb 13 1942 Chevrolet truck military $1700 (East Sac) pic

Comment

Very cool, amazing how few are rusty, and most of the tires are up too. I'm betting that water pipe exhaust will last a while, lol.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Very cool, amazing how few are rusty, and most of the tires are up too. I'm betting that water pipe exhaust will last a while, lol.
                  I noticed that too, Pat; 'Love it! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Anybody think you have to have a lot of horsepower and speed to have fun?...Look again!

Amazing, how much fun is to be had with enough GEARS and SOME horsepower!!!

Besides...you get to enjoy the view in the slow lane.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                      So is this a gm or a Studebaker? Feb 13 1942 Chevrolet truck military $1700 (East Sac) pic
                      That be a GM product!!
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Really neat to view! Thanks

Comment

Couple of additional thoughts...I would like to see a picture of this yard in the middle of winter with maximum snow accumulation.

Thinking of snow...I bet the pitch of roofs (on the houses) and framing is much more substantial than you could get away with where I live.
                          Last edited by jclary; 02-20-2014, 07:18 PM.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Studes.JPGStudebaker and Alaska share a long history together. The earliest Studes I've been able to find were imported in the teens and twenties by the Valdez transportation Company, maybe operated by Bobby Sheldon. The cars were used to transport tourists north up the Fairbanks to Valdez trail to the Denali Highway (still unpaved) then west to Mt. McKinnley (Denali). One of these days I'll get off my duff and do some research for Turning Wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                              That be a GM product!!
                              You sure about this? Look at the head on pic that shows the slope of the windshield.

Only M series Studebakers have an extreme sloping windshield...which is the dead bang give-away to tell a GI issue Studebaker from GMC's, Chevy's, and etc.

jclary: If you looked at a pic of this yard in the winter with maximum snowfall, all you'd see is the tallest trees.

And it doesn't have to be in winter either. It was snowing in mid September 2004, so much so that Denali Park tourist busses were having a hard time negotiating the roads.
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 02-20-2014, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X