Avanti serial number RQ 3980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti serial number RQ 3980

Does anyone know anything about this car? I am reading the number from a picture, but I think I got it right. RQ 3980 White, black interior, Square headlights.

Are you reading a number off a plate in the engine compartment (body number) or off the plate on the frame (Serial Number)?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes...the "RQ-xxxx" number would be the body number. The serial number would be either "63R-xxxx" or "R-xxxx".
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I now realize I have the body number. So far I have not been able to get the serial number, the image in the photo I have of it is so poor, it is impossible to read. Is there any way of using the body number to identify the car?
        Thanks.

Comment

There is a way, but I doubt you want to spend a week or two @ $1000.00 per 7 Day Week digging through all Avanti Production orders looking for that body number!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is it possibly 5176? The description fits (of course it fits others). It is a car that I owned. The daughter or granddaughter of the man that has owned it for several years called me about it at the beginning of Winter. I gave her a lot of information about the car's history and suggested that they put it up for sale (eBay) in the Spring.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

According to research done by John Hull in the Avanti magazine issue #164 the body numbers on Avanti's that are 5000+ were assembled in the South Bend factory from February 1963 on. The lesser numbered bodies were assembled and shipped to South Bend from Molded Fiberglass Co. of Ashtabula Ohio. RQ3980 suggests the car was made prior to Feb. "63 and is not a transition or '64 model.

Comment

Avanti serial numbers and body numbers have been observed a thousand or more numbers difference. A true transition car could conceivably have a body with a February build date. Bodies were pulled by color and the number had nothing to do with that and were for record keeping purposes.

Only getting the serial number will give the answer to whether the car is a true transitional Avanti.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by garyc View Post
                  According to research done by John Hull in the Avanti magazine issue #164 the body numbers on Avanti's that are 5000+ were assembled in the South Bend factory from February 1963 on. The lesser numbered bodies were assembled and shipped to South Bend from Molded Fiberglass Co. of Ashtabula Ohio. RQ3980 suggests the car was made prior to Feb. "63 and is not a transition or '64 model.
                  My memory differs from this and I do not have John's article handy to compare to. I remember that bodies were made by both Studebaker and MFG and that they had a different series of body numbers. Where we differ is that I thought that there was an overlap of body production and not a complete changeover in Feb. 1963. In other words, I believe that Studebaker and MFG both made bodies (at the same time frame), each with their own body number series.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The only way to know for sure is to order the inspection sheets for the serial no. of the car that will indicate where the body was sourced. These can be acquired from Nostalgic Auto and may be available by body number. It's worth a phone call to find out. The cost for the sheets a year ago was $65.

Comment

Working...
                    X