Boilermakers Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boilermakers Roll

As I watched the unbeaten Purdue Boilermakers roll over winless Notre Dame, I remembered that Bob Palma used to drive the Boilermaker Special locomotive and that at least one of the locomotives was built on a Studebaker chassis. (Required Studebaker related content.)

If at first you don't succeed you will get a lot of advice.

Lark Parker
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

OK, since my daughter goes to Ball State in Muncie In. they ACTUALLY won a football game today! They have "free admission" to all the home games, (they need a crowd) <G> Jenny does NOT stay in the Studebaker dorms on campus! (required Studebaker content) but I hear that the Studebaker dorms (east and west) air the only dorms with A/C.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

OK, since my daughter goes to Ball State in Muncie In. they ACTUALLY won a football game today! They have "free admission" to all the home games, (they need a crowd) <G> Jenny does NOT stay in the Studebaker dorms on campus! (required Studebaker content) but I hear that the Studebaker dorms (east and west) air the only dorms with A/C.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

For a minute there I thought you were referring to my Dad...

He's spent the last 30 years making his living as a Boilermaker. (Not a football player... )

He has a '64 Wagonaire and a '56 Champ two door. (Required Studebaker related content.)

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

For a minute there I thought you were referring to my Dad...

He's spent the last 30 years making his living as a Boilermaker. (Not a football player... )

He has a '64 Wagonaire and a '56 Champ two door. (Required Studebaker related content.)

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

HAIL PURDUE!!! The Boilers rule this season and I could not be happier. Yes, I know, I live in Kentucky territory, but my Purdue allegiance is still strong.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

HAIL PURDUE!!! The Boilers rule this season and I could not be happier. Yes, I know, I live in Kentucky territory, but my Purdue allegiance is still strong.

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

It was Boilermaker Special I, built on a new 1939/1940 Studebaker Champion(!) chassis donated to Purdue University by The Studebaker Corporation. Yes, I had the honor of driving Boilermaker Special III into the Notre Dame stadium for the fall 1969 [possibly 1968; would have to check] Purdue/ND game in South Bend, transporting Purdue President Frederick Hovde into the stadium. Heady stuff and good memories [^], but BMS III was built on a circa-1960 GMC truck chassis. Hail Purdue! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was Boilermaker Special I, built on a new 1939/1940 Studebaker Champion(!) chassis donated to Purdue University by The Studebaker Corporation. Yes, I had the honor of driving Boilermaker Special III into the Notre Dame stadium for the fall 1969 [possibly 1968; would have to check] Purdue/ND game in South Bend, transporting Purdue President Frederick Hovde into the stadium. Heady stuff and good memories [^], but BMS III was built on a circa-1960 GMC truck chassis. Hail Purdue! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, are you going to report on seeing Studebakers in the rear view mirror of the BMS ?

If not, what was the viewing problem? ..........

Lark Parker
                    sigpic

Comment

Bob, are you going to report on seeing Studebakers in the rear view mirror of the BMS ?

Lark Parker
                      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

Lark Parker
                        [}] Apparently, Lark "Inquiring Minds" Parker remembers a thread of some time ago, wherein I lamented (but not too greatly) the inability of the pilot [driver] of Boilermaker Special III to see out the rear of the vehicle using the interior rear view mirror provided.

You see, the tender was part of the overall "locomotive," since the vehicle was built on a straight truck GMC chassis. BMS III was gasoline powered, so the tender was simply set up with two parallel rows of seats on which passengers could ride "the train" around campus. Great fun; especially for "underclassmen" women.

The driver's seat position was quite low in BMS III when compared with the seat height of the seats in the tender. The driver, when looking in the rear view mirror, would see rearward at about the level of the seat cushions in the tender...and since most co-eds still wore skirts in the 1960s...[:0][:0][:0]

One of my fellow members of The Purdue Reamer Club, "keepers of the various Boilermaker Specials," even managed to earn the permanent nickname "Crash" as a result of his inattention to the vehicle's forward motion while being so distracted during a trip to a Fourth of July parade in LaPorte IN in the summer of 1968....[:0] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

Lark Parker
                          [}] Apparently, Lark "Inquiring Minds" Parker remembers a thread of some time ago, wherein I lamented (but not too greatly) the inability of the pilot [driver] of Boilermaker Special III to see out the rear of the vehicle using the interior rear view mirror provided.

You see, the tender was part of the overall "locomotive," since the vehicle was built on a straight truck GMC chassis. BMS III was gasoline powered, so the tender was simply set up with two parallel rows of seats on which passengers could ride "the train" around campus. Great fun; especially for "underclassmen" women.

The driver's seat position was quite low in BMS III when compared with the seat height of the seats in the tender. The driver, when looking in the rear view mirror, would see rearward at about the level of the seat cushions in the tender...and since most co-eds still wore skirts in the 1960s...[:0][:0][:0]

One of my fellow members of The Purdue Reamer Club, "keepers of the various Boilermaker Specials," even managed to earn the permanent nickname "Crash" as a result of his inattention to the vehicle's forward motion while being so distracted during a trip to a Fourth of July parade in LaPorte IN in the summer of 1968....[:0] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                          X