Hawk Rear Sway Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Rear Sway Bar

I have a factory Hawk sway bar with the leaf spring plates for a dana 44 they have the link mounting tabs. i also have the frame mounts but no links or holes drilled. Whats the length of the Hawks rear sway bar link from center to center. The only thing i can find similar is a link for 1950 commander but it looks like its modifiable. Does anyone have a set of hawks for sale.
    How would i find out the frame bolt hole locations for the rear sway bar can someone measure it up for me or possibly post some pics of the whole thing bolted together.
    USASTUDE

Other than maybe Studebaker International for the links....the holes should already be in the frame for attaching the bars hold down brackets.
    Should be above and just to the front of the rear axle housing. The bar mounts high against the frame.

Mike

Comment

The holes for the frame mounts should already be there on the frame. One hole on each side is utilized for the lower fastener of the rear exhaust pipe hanger bracket. The other hole is just back of that by about 1 15/16" on each side. You also need the 2 plates that go between the frame and bushing retainer bracket. These are approx. 1/8 or 3/32" thick for the Hawk. I have a pair if you don't have these or can't find them easily.

Comment

well that made it very simple. Nice the factory added the holes to every hawk with out the option. Will call studeint as they have a full kit.
        Last edited by Rocket442; 02-16-2014, 04:50 AM.
        USASTUDE

Comment

There is a good illustration of the rear bar installed in the 59-64 shop manual under rear suspension, page 7. If you don't have the manual, find someone in your area that does, or order one from SI - well worth having.

Comment

I wonder if the new 'reproduction' rear sway bars (Like Dave Thibeault sells) are as good as the factory originals.....Or are they better? Comments?

Comment

"What's the length of the Hawk's rear sway bar link from center to center? I think this was the original question. I would like to know this too.

Comment

These are under car measurements: center to center on a vertical plane - 7 3/4", offset on a longitudinal plane - 2", offset on a lateral plane - 2". The diagonal center to center is approx. 8". These aren't the easiest things to dimension when mounted. Offsets are inward and forward in relation to the car.

Comment

FYI, for the sake of clarity and for knowing what is correct and original for future reference ONLY:

With all of this talk about "the Hawk's sway bar" I hope all of you do remember that you will only find the Original Rear Stabilizer Bar installed or listed in Parts Catalogs on or for '53-'54 Land Cruisers, '55 President States, '56-'57 President Classics and '58 President Sedans, in other words ONLY "Y" Body Long Wheelbase Sedans at least up to 1958 and NO '56 to '62 Hawks.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    FYI, for the sake of clarity and for knowing what is correct and original for future reference ONLY:

With all of this talk about "the Hawk's sway bar" I hope all of you do remember that you will only find the Original Rear Stabilizer Bar installed or listed in Parts Catalogs on or for '53-'54 Land Cruisers, '55 President States, '56-'57 President Classics and '58 President Sedans, in other words ONLY "Y" Body Long Wheelbase Sedans at least up to 1958 and NO '56 to '62 Hawks.
                    I agree Rich, but You'd be surprised how many folks think '58 Golden and Packard Hawks came from the factory with that bar....even some 'pros'!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I wonder if the new 'reproduction' rear sway bars (Like Dave Thibeault sells) are as good as the factory originals.....Or are they better? Comments?
                      I have one of Dave's, it works fine.
                      But I have nothing OEM to compare it to.

Comment

Working...
                      X