Question about hole in Hawk bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about hole in Hawk bumper

I have an NOS Hawk bumper. There is about a 3/8 inch diameter hole in the very center along the top edge (if the bumper was mounted it would be like drilliing the hole straight down vertically). It looks like a nice clean perfectly centered factory hole and I have actually seen this a a couple other Hawk bumpers over the years. Anyone know why the hole is there are who drilled them?

Front or rear? I can't imagine the Factory's supplier doing that, because no accessory, Lic. Plate bracket or guard bolts go in the Center. I could see it used for chroming electrodes, but WHY ruin a good bumper when there are bracket holes to use?

I am thinking Re-plated used, not New. You could mount one of those very nice, expensive chrome SDC Wheel Badges (Emblems) on it though if it is a Front.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There is a license guard that goes on the '53/'54 rear but I don't remember if the hole for the wire to the license lights goes through the center of the bumper or not. I don't think it does. Mine is not here at the house or I would check.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Certainly NEVER on the upward facing, upper edge though, THAT would be visible.

The '55 and up Bumpers are quite a bit different than '53-'54, they're the taller ones with a built-in License Guard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 Park Green1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1687773
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry. It's the front bumper. I'll try to take a picture today. Got 12 inches of snow last night in northern VA. Busy shoveling now.

Comment

Maybe that's the hole to install a safety cable through so the hood can't fly up!!! :-)))))) Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
              I have an NOS Hawk bumper. There is about a 3/8 inch diameter hole in the very center along the top edge (if the bumper was mounted it would be like drilliing the hole straight down vertically). It looks like a nice clean perfectly centered factory hole and I have actually seen this a a couple other Hawk bumpers over the years. Anyone know why the hole is there are who drilled them?
              Are you sure it is NOS, and not justrechromed and stuffed back into an old NOS wrapper/Box/Sleeve?
              Just curious.....
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
                Maybe that's the hole to install a safety cable through so the hood can't fly up!!! :-)))))) Gordon
                Could have used one of those years ago for my 57 Silver Hawk! You can guess what happened to that hood! Bad bad day.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

They might have come from a rejected batch that got put away at factory. They may have later been discovered and used as NOS or replacement stock.

Comment

Working...
                  X