Not my favorite color, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not my favorite color, but

Love the engine swap. Depending on just which V6 this is, it could be a sub-14 second 1/4 mile car and completely streetable. And if it's as good as advertised, less money than it could be duplicated for.

Last edited by jnormanh; 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM.

Yes Candy Apple RED may be a bit too flashy for many, but the constables love them!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      Love the engine swap. Depending on just which V6 this is, it could be a 14 second 1/4 mile car. And if it's as good as advertised, less money than it could be duplicated for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-2...US_Cars_Trucks
      Nice car, interesting bumper quality based on the rest of the car.

Not a deal killer, just out of place.

Bob

Comment

I like red.

Denny l

Comment

Looks like a carbureted 3.8 turbo like I had in my '83 T-Type Regal. It ran strong whenever it felt like it. The '84-'87 fuel injected 3.8's are the ones if you want to go fast. The 86-87 were intercooled. It does look nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Nice car, interesting bumper quality based on the rest of the car.
            Not a deal killer, just out of place.Bob
            Hmmm, looks like he did NOT go to Jared, er Jerry!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it weren't for the paint, I'd consider it at the BIN price, but I'd like it to be a sleeper, maybe painted pale yellow or light blue. Even if it's an early Buick turbo, if it's a Dana 44 and traction bars, I'll bet it would give an Avanti R2 all it could handle. Geared right, top end might be bye bye Avanti. Hoo-ha!

Comment

I think it's real purdy.

Looks like a good buy to me.
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

I think it sets to tall
                  sigpic

Comment

It started life as a six cylinder car and it is still a six cylinder car.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The seller currently has eight vehicles for sale on eBay. I guess that they are the estate that he referred to.

He lists the '53 as a 2 door hardtop. It is a C body coupe, not a K body hardtop. He may not know Studebakers, but it seems like he should know a coupe from a hardtop. He probably looked up pictures and prices on the Internet and decided that the car is a hardtop.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                        If it weren't for the paint, I'd consider it at the BIN price, but I'd like it to be a sleeper, maybe painted pale yellow or light blue. Even if it's an early Buick turbo, if it's a Dana 44 and traction bars, I'll bet it would give an Avanti R2 all it could handle. Geared right, top end might be bye bye Avanti. Hoo-ha!
                        I dont think so. The early carburetor T-types (79-83) didnt make much power and werent very fast. They were only 170 to 190 hp. In 84 The Grand National came out and was fuel injected. It made around 200 hp. It wasnt until 86 until they were fast, but still were only 245 hp. I tried one of these cars out few years back and wasnt very impressed after the test drive seeing how the mustang I drove in was actually quite a bit faster than the GN. The GNX on the other hand could pull 13s in a 1/4 mile.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          It started life as a six cylinder car and it is still a six cylinder car.
                          Which probably makes it quite rare. I like keeping it a 6-cylinder.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                            I dont think so. The early carburetor T-types (79-83) didnt make much power and werent very fast. They were only 170 to 190 hp. In 84 The Grand National came out and was fuel injected. It made around 200 hp. It wasnt until 86 until they were fast, but still were only 245 hp. I tried one of these cars out few years back and wasnt very impressed after the test drive seeing how the mustang I drove in was actually quite a bit faster than the GN. The GNX on the other hand could pull 13s in a 1/4 mile.
                            I think you're mistaken about the performance of this car. Factory HP claims are meaningless. For example:

An R2 Avanti weighs about 3150 lbs, claimed 290 HP, and in contemporary tests would run 16 sec quarters,

An '83 Buick T Type weighs about 3600 lbs and also would run 16 quarters.

That makes it pretty obvious that either the Avanti HP was overstated (as commonly done back then) or the Buick was understated.

And the factory rated 245 HP Buick would run low 14 quarters, far faster than any 290 HP Avanti in spite of weighing 450 lbs more.

My point was this: drop any Buick V6 Turbo into a '53 Stude, the weight will be barely over 3000 lbs, and it will blow the doors off an R2 Avanti. If it's a later Buick, with TT and traction bars, the R2 Avanti will be sucking wind.

And I can't think of any road legal Mustang that you might have owned back in the day that would stay with it.

Even the 271HP Mustang Hi-Po would barely break 16 seconds.

So how fast was your Mustang, anyway? Tire smoke doesn't equal ET.
                            Last edited by jnormanh; 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Studedude;822214]I wish someone would hit the buy it now!

Yes,I feel the same way about the 49 Studebaker/Dodge Cummins.I can
                              afford it but don't need it and there it is saying "Buy Me Buy Me"
                              The 53 is a nice looking car.Did you notice the drivers door window
                              and vent looks like duct tape on them?
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X