X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restore studebaker

Dear all.

I'm new around these parts.
    I'm from Portugal and inheritance received one studebaker 1955, president speedster model.

I want to restore it, but here in Portugal there are not shops to buy parts. Here in Portugal there are only 3 studbakers.

I've been asking for some orientation, some contact parts stores.

Best Regards.

Daniel Rocha

Daniel,

Go to the top of this page and click on "Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page." Once you get there, join the club. As part of membership, every month you will receive a copy of Turning Wheels - the club magazine. There are many Studebaker parts vendors listed in T.W. each month. Also, bookmark the Hemmings Motor News site at http://www.hemming.com and subscribe to their monthly catalog/magazine. There are thousands of various vendors in H.M.N. that provide restoration services of all sorts for all makes of cars.

Welcome to the world of Studebakering !
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Hello Daniel,
      Welcome to the Forum.
      You have basically two orientations for parts. A lot of standard maintenance parts can still be ordered on line at Rockauto's or other similar sites. For specific parts, the biggest vendor is Studebaker International but there are many others. I'd say that the first step is to get the documentation for your car (available on CD). Parts catalogs and shop manuals makes the task a lot easier.
      Nice day to all.

Add-on. One thing I forgot to mention earlier. I don't kwow where your car comes from but, if it was assembled in Belgium, D'Ieteren's (www.dieteren.be) keeps a complete log of all the cars they built. It may be worth to check that. You only have to give them the serial number. Of course, it is also a good thing to get your production order from the Studebaker National Museum.
      Last edited by christophe; 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes, Welcome to the forum and please join us in the SDC! A 1955 Speedster is a wonderful Studebaker to restore.
        Here you can ask any question regarding your Studebaker also search for parts here. It's a fantastic resource, been a great help with my projects. Love to see Studebakers from around the world, please post a photo or two when you have a chance.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

You have a great car to restore. I have lots of parts left over from my 55K rebuild, but the price of a plane ticket to see them would make them too expensive for you (lol). As suggested, join the club, get your manuals and parts catalogues and contact Studebaker International for their catalogue, too. For body panels, contact Classic Enterprises for a catalogue or watch for their display ad in Turning Wheels. I contacted Bob Petersen (CandBStudebakers) for hard to find pieces and Paul Revell (55s) has two or three of those very special Speedsters and is a great source for help and parts. Phil Harris (Fairborn Studebaker) can provide performance up grades, too. Your friends are only one click away. Cheers!
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

There are two other members of SDC in Portugal.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Daniel,

What is the vehicle serial number or cowl tag numbers on your vehicle? Is it a standard shift or an automatic?
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Daniel, I too would like to welcome you to the forum. All the replies are spot on great advise. You have one of the most desirable Studebaker's made in my humble opinion so congratulations!
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I would suspect there are more than three Studebakers in Portugal, and even more in Spain. Solicitation may reveal interest to develop an Iberian chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. There are few opportunities more advantageous than local support and camaraderie. The resources of the Studebaker Drivers Club are available worldwide and supported by over 12,000 members.
                  Welcome to the resource for our mutually favorite marque, Daniel.
                  How may we assist?
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

My car was imported directly from USA by an Mercedes Office. the car was imported new

Until two months ago I was unaware of the existence of this car. but in the certificate of my grandfather, there was a clause of the existence of this car.
                    We found the car in a garage of a house that my grandfather had.
                    It really is in poor condition. much work ahead will be necessary. chrome and upholstery clean station.
                    the engine still does not put him to work, but by towing the car, the wheels are not locked and noticed that the engine crankshaft rotated. Receido engine had to be calcined due to non use, but I'll pull the engine and take a test.
                    I do not have the slightest notion of the market value of this car, or the possible value of restoration.
                    Last edited by Daniel Rocha; 02-13-2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Daniel,
                      As others have implied, a Speedster is one of the MOST desirable Studebaker models. You are very fortunate. It will be worth doing a good job of restoration.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I already try join the club but i need the SDC number to make the regist.

Comment

Can someone who speaks Portuguese perhaps help Daniel Join the SDC?
                          Or someone who could explain directions better than I?
                          Ask my wife about directions! Wait! Better not!
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Welcome to the forum Daniel

The site to join the club is pretty straight forward, here's a link https://secure.cornerstonereg.com/sdc/newmember.asp
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X