No announcement yet.

frt brake and susp questions c/k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me run this past you ....I was looking at my bare frame and it dawned on me why not cut the frt crossmember loose twist it a bit and reattach it that way all relationship between upper and lower arms stays correct I know will have to do some accurate measurements but properly fixtured should be realetivly simple and also may have to turn back were trunion attaches to keep tierods in order and I have a couple frames to practice on.

Comment

That's a thought. Slice vertically through the bottom and sides of the frame, but leave the top attached. Open the cut, measuring caster as you go. When you like what you see, weld up the cut and plate the sides. That way, no jig required, just careful measurement to be sure both sides end up with the same caster.

BTW, switch to the '62 and later kingpins. They have more caster built in and you won't have as far to go.

Only downside I see is it raises all the front frame mounting points. All the sheetmetal which bolts to it will be raised by the amount the frame moves upward.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM.
      PackardV8

Comment

Slick Street Stuff: any chance that just the control arms with everything in between would work but keep the original Studebaker steering linkage with possibly a Chevy Astro reverse rotation PS gear conversion with box in the 'stock' location?
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          Slick Street Stuff: any chance that just the control arms with everything in between would work but keep the original Studebaker steering linkage with possibly a Chevy Astro reverse rotation PS gear conversion with box in the 'stock' location?
          Do we have Rene Harger here on the Forum? I don't see his post anywhere!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X