Studebaker & Packard hearses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker & Packard hearses

Over the summer my friend Joseph and I visited the National Museum of Funeral History here in Houston, I mainly go for the neat hearses, two of which are Studebakers. One is a Hearse/Ambulance with removable decorative glass with red cross for the rear of the vehicle when acting as an ambulance. The other Studebaker was a 1930's Commander which was listed as winning prizes at past international meets. There also was a Packard flower car, and a Packard funeral bus, with room for the casket underneath, and all the mourners and pallbearers in the passenger compartment. It originally was used in San Francisco, but was going up a hill and tipped over backwards due to the large overhang behind the rear wheels. It was abandoned and the wooden body was used as a ranch hand's home for years until it was found and placed on the Packard Chassis.

Joseph and the Studebaker (the Packard funeral bus is the big thing in the background)

Joseph and the Packard flower car

And here is a link to another site with some better photos of these and many other hearses there and elsewhere.
    http://www.trombinoscar.com/hearse/index.html
    just click on the photos and they will show even more close ups.

Spence Gaskin

Cool web site. Thanks for the pictures.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

We visited the museum again, and figured I would go ahead and post the photos I got with the new digital camera.

The older of the two Studebakers

Its cab

the rear compartment (with seat since it was used as an ambulance too)

This one has gone to past Studebaker international meets

Its cab

My Dad and the one of a kind Packard Funeral Bus

They do have lots of neat hearses, all of which are in running condition, they just added a new wing which describes the history of Papal funerals, which includes an old popemobile.

Spence Gaskin

Comment

A local funeral home has a 1929 Studebaker hearse that they still use on request. Once, I had them bring it to a Hudson Valley Chapter, SDC Meet. They came directly from a funeral and they were dressed in period attire. At that same HVC Meet, we had a restored horse drawn wagon.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X