Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other info on this out there?

[/quote]

I believe Richard Quinn did an article in his Almanac pages on the Googomobil. There were some photos of Harold Churchill and others eyeing one, and another pic of two men holding up a bodyshell of one.

Craig

Comment

Any other info on this out there?

[/quote]

I believe Richard Quinn did an article in his Almanac pages on the Googomobil. There were some photos of Harold Churchill and others eyeing one, and another pic of two men holding up a bodyshell of one.

Craig

Comment

I can remember a Goggomobil that was being worked on at my friend's Studebaker repair facility. IIRC, the Goggomobile did not have a reverse gear. You simply started the engine to run in the reverse rotation. Of course, the car was so small that you rarely needed a reverse.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I can remember a Goggomobil that was being worked on at my friend's Studebaker repair facility. IIRC, the Goggomobile did not have a reverse gear. You simply started the engine to run in the reverse rotation. Of course, the car was so small that you rarely needed a reverse.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quoteidn't Studebaker turn down the opportunity to be the U.S. distributor for Volkswagen in the early '50's? With all the German car considerations one wonders if Studebaker was looking at the family tree at the time.
            Joe Roberts
            The story that I heard was that the German government was looking for someone to take over the war torn VW plant and make cars there. It seems to me that Studebaker, and all the American manufacturers, turned it down because they thought the car would never sell.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quoteidn't Studebaker turn down the opportunity to be the U.S. distributor for Volkswagen in the early '50's? With all the German car considerations one wonders if Studebaker was looking at the family tree at the time.
              Joe Roberts
              The story that I heard was that the German government was looking for someone to take over the war torn VW plant and make cars there. It seems to me that Studebaker, and all the American manufacturers, turned it down because they thought the car would never sell.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Don't know if it's still there but, there was a used car dealer in Williamsport, Pa who had a Goggomoblil mounted on the top of his sign. It was on Lycoming Creek Road (old Rt 15) a mile or two north of Williamsport. It looked pretty solid.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Don't know if it's still there but, there was a used car dealer in Williamsport, Pa who had a Goggomoblil mounted on the top of his sign. It was on Lycoming Creek Road (old Rt 15) a mile or two north of Williamsport. It looked pretty solid.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                  X