Luggage rack cost update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage rack cost update

From time to time owners of wagons with luggage racks discuss restoration of these things. Well, mine is complete now and just wanted to share the cost I incurred. $400.00 for repair and re-chrome of the 4 Stantions (sp). My bottom SS egg crate looking piece was perfect so nothing more than polishing and cleaning. $0.00 . My rails (4pc) where totally rusted and had to be cut up just to get the stantions off. I went to a boat/mariane shop that specialized in fab. of boat rails and had them make me a new rail set. They made it out of the same dia. stock. It is high quality SS and they made all the bends exact. They made it a two piece unit instead of a 4. Great job. Ready!!!!! $375.00. Now I have a complete restored luggage rack for $775.00. I know some think I'm nuts and other enjoy this(seeing others) type of spending, and I realise these kind of cost on Studes(or any other old car restoration) do not always get returned in the sales price. My justification is it is what I like to do and thank God I can afford it. To close if you find a NOS luggage rack for under $800.00 I would buy it if you need one. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Do we get to see pictures of your handiwork???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Do we get to see pictures of your handiwork???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes, only if I can e-mail the pictures to someone who can post them. I am an idiot when it comes to computers.

Comment

Yes, only if I can e-mail the pictures to someone who can post them. I am an idiot when it comes to computers.

Comment

Hey, ken

Send them to me at stude53@intrstar.net

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
            53 Starliner Hardtop
            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Hey, ken

Send them to me at stude53@intrstar.net

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
              53 Starliner Hardtop
              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

In '97 I visited a junkyard near Toledo Ohio. There were quite a few Studes in the yard as well as one, half-gone '58 Packard wagon. "Half-gone" as in halfway rusted into terra firma! With limited time, I rescued the wonderbar radio and the WCFB from it. Alas, I left the roof rack sitting there. I've always wondered if anyone else took stuff off that car.
                Heh - the name of the junkyard was "Hog Heaven" because the owner let hogs run all over the place! I still have his card here someplace.
                I've got the last registration for that wagon too! I found it in the glove box and figured it would be the only thing for the old wagon to be remembered by - once it had returned to the elements.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In '97 I visited a junkyard near Toledo Ohio. There were quite a few Studes in the yard as well as one, half-gone '58 Packard wagon. "Half-gone" as in halfway rusted into terra firma! With limited time, I rescued the wonderbar radio and the WCFB from it. Alas, I left the roof rack sitting there. I've always wondered if anyone else took stuff off that car.
                  Heh - the name of the junkyard was "Hog Heaven" because the owner let hogs run all over the place! I still have his card here someplace.
                  I've got the last registration for that wagon too! I found it in the glove box and figured it would be the only thing for the old wagon to be remembered by - once it had returned to the elements.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ken, here are your pictures. Looking Good!!

53 Starliner Hardtop
                    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Ken, here are your pictures. Looking Good!!

53 Starliner Hardtop
                      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Thanks Bob. The chrome job is alot better then it looks. Inside the stations where not ground down to rechrome as the plater and I decided that we did not want to chance grinding(pot metal) inside as it would result in the opening being to large, as only a small set screw holds them together. All the little inperfections in the picture is wrapping excess. I took these out of the wrap to get this picture and did not clean them first. Also the bar is SS and is polished. It is just the lighting that makes it look gold. One thing I will say is these modern camera's are so so good. Thanks again, Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob. The chrome job is alot better then it looks. Inside the stations where not ground down to rechrome as the plater and I decided that we did not want to chance grinding(pot metal) inside as it would result in the opening being to large, as only a small set screw holds them together. All the little inperfections in the picture is wrapping excess. I took these out of the wrap to get this picture and did not clean them first. Also the bar is SS and is polished. It is just the lighting that makes it look gold. One thing I will say is these modern camera's are so so good. Thanks again, Bob

Comment

The work looks great, did those come from a Rambler? I don't remember any Stude. stantions with grooves. That will look nice installed.

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The work looks great, did those come from a Rambler? I don't remember any Stude. stantions with grooves. That will look nice installed.

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X