'Lakes Pipes' for a Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Lakes Pipes' for a Hawk?

A '61 Hawk with 'Lakes pipes'! Note the unusual decklid treatment on this nice Studebaker.
    Attached Files

I always thought that corrugated area would be more interesting flat - with just the reveal line.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The 1959 Silver Hawk I bought last summer was most likely used for drag racing as it has traction masters and the exhaust pipes have sealed off branches that apparently went to lakes pipes in a former life.

Comment

There was one at the SB international meet,with lake pipes. They had cut a hole through the lower rear of the front fenders,for the pipes to exit,they ran along side the rockers. Looked pretty darn good actually-to us that like lakers!! I think the owners were from New York,so I wonder if this is the same car? i think I've seen that trunk lid treatment before also.[I think we all know why it's bondo'd up that way though!]
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I can't tell from that picture (hint, hint) but those pipes don't look like they are as long as I would've done it to one of my own cars...

And YES- the thought has crossed my mind!!!

But NO- not on the StudeBus.

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sorry Dave, That's the only photo I have of this '61 Hawk.

Comment

That's one way to fix a rotted hawk trunk lid.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I always wondered how lake pipes would look on my 59 Hawk... not bad..

Comment

Listed on Houston C.L. as 63 Stude for $1500
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've been considering a 55 Regal coupe that is for sale up here that has me just about enough interested to look at it once warmer weather appears. It has lake pipes on it, which seems silly given the L-head 6 cylinder in the engine bay. Luckily they can be easily removed. But to each his own!

Comment

I kind of like 'em,

I think it would be cool to reverse the curve on the rockers so that the lakes pipes could be partially recessed into the area below the door. I'm sure one would need to build in a heat shield though and reinforce the threshold.
                      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                      Kenmore, Washington
                      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                      '69 Pontiac Firebird
                      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Those are kind of goofy-looking lakes pipes. Clearly one inlet, and several outlet branches with caps. Usually, you have a muffler of sorts in the pipe, with a rear dump, and a (single) capped outlet upstream of the muffler that can be opened for racing.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                          Those are kind of goofy-looking lakes pipes. Clearly one inlet, and several outlet branches with caps. Usually, you have a muffler of sorts in the pipe, with a rear dump, and a (single) capped outlet upstream of the muffler that can be opened for racing.
                          I agree.....I always thought that ONE outlet, just ahead of the rear tire, is the nicest look for 'Lakes pipes'.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

I agree with gordr!
                              I used to have Thrush sidepipes on my 1:st US car, a -62 Valiant, after I put a 241 Dodge Red Ram baby-Hemi in it.
                              Those pipes had louvered sides but the square opening was replaces by a round bended pipe in earlier life.
                              & one early morning after spending the whole night (being young in the late 70's) in the garage I stopped by the local snack-bar & grabbed a burger for breakfast & it was just where the big bus-station was located also - folks waiting for the bus to go to work, really really sleepy... & I got my burger & sat in the car & started it... & the torque flung the car a bit to the side at the sidewalk that was a bit high (parked to close & had still 6-cyl's suspesion...) & RUMBLERUMBLERUMBLE ! ! ! ...I shut the engine real fast!
                              But the fright-jumping people was about the funniest thing I've seen in my whole life... not much of likepipe left thou.

Comment

Working...
                              X