Engine rebuilder recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuilder recommendations

The new year's project is going to be working on the '37 President rumble seat coupe I've owned on and off for almost 30 years. It deserves it. I know that the engine will need to be rebuilt. I have had recommendations on rebuild shops from Jerry Kurtz and Rex Miltenberger and I value their opinion highly and would not hesitate to act on either one, but (there's always a "but"), one is in southeastern Pennsylvania and the other is in Chicago, both are over a thousand miles away from me. It would be tough to drop in and check on progress or look at something when a problem comes up.

Does anyone here know of a reputable shop that has experience with Studebaker straight eight engines closer to northwest Louisiana? Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, Austin are all considered "close" by my standards. Thanks in advance. Tom

When you come up to South Bend for the May meet you could run your motor over to chicago. These people don't need any checking up on during the rebuild. Also a local guy bought a 41 president motor from me and had it rebuilt in Grand Rapids in less than 3 weeks. I'm sure there are many shops that can do your motor, but they have to be resourceful in finding the parts.

Comment

Tom
      Witmer's Automotive in Ephrata, PA (Lancaster area) doesn't need to be checked on during any job they do. I've used them numerous times for engine work. They are second to none. They also are into Studes as well as other makes since they do PA. state inspections. They just finished going over my 289 and powershift for my '64 GT project. I know it's a hike from your place but it could be put on a pallet and trucked. Their phone is 717-859-1078 if you want it.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

I have a 289 2bar. I want to get it rebuilt while I'm getting car painted. I would like to get some modifications done on the engine while its being rebuilt and upgrade to the 4 bar, better headers etc. I'm in Indiana. What is the name and # for the re builder your referring to?

Comment

Working...
        X