Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final U.S.built Studebaker--an Avanti--on the turntable at the SNM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Final U.S.built Studebaker--an Avanti--on the turntable at the SNM

    At least I think so, and Bob P. confirms. I saw a clip on a South Bend TV station last month and I was pretty sure it was a white '64 on the turntable, from the size of the front fender badge. I know the SNM has a white '63 in their inventory, but not a '64 (that I know of).

    Did anybody in the South Bend area see this Avanti at the SNM?

    It's really the FINAL CAR built in South Bend...completed 12/31/63 per a note in the trunk, although the build sheet says 12/26. It's an R3 with Powershift and although it has a lot more miles than the red Daytona Hardtop in the SNM, it's still under 10K miles if memory serves me.

    I'm getting a hankering for a mental health day, so to speak, at the SNM while both of these cars are there at one time, even though I've seen both many times over the years!

    Too bad there wasn't someway they could've gotten the final Hawk, 64V-20197 which is privately owned, and a truck built on the last day (12/27/63)--I know Max Corkins' Champ with Flightomatic, though not a show truck by any means, but still cool--was built on that last day.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

  • #2
    'Save your nickels and dimes, Bill; that final Hawk has traded hands a time or two, IIRC.

    (Remember: Exactly a year ago, I was making plans to dodge snowflakes with Howe Clark for a fast, three-day, 2,000-odd mile round trip to south Texas to pick up a car I had wanted for decades; an Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire...all things cometh to he who waiteth and all that, you know... ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      At least I think so, and Bob P. confirms. I saw a clip on a South Bend TV station last month and I was pretty sure it was a white '64 on the turntable, from the size of the front fender badge. I know the SNM has a white '63 in their inventory, but not a '64 (that I know of).

      Did anybody in the South Bend area see this Avanti at the SNM?

      It's really the FINAL CAR built in South Bend...completed 12/31/63 per a note in the trunk, although the build sheet says 12/26. It's an R3 with Powershift and although it has a lot more miles than the red Daytona Hardtop in the SNM, it's still under 10K miles if memory serves me.

      I'm getting a hankering for a mental health day, so to speak, at the SNM while both of these cars are there at one time, even though I've seen both many times over the years!

      Too bad there wasn't someway they could've gotten the final Hawk, 64V-20197 which is privately owned, and a truck built on the last day (12/27/63)--I know Max Corkins' Champ with Flightomatic, though not a show truck by any means, but still cool--was built on that last day.
      The wife and I drove the Museum's transport to Cleveland Oh. in December and picked this Avanti up for the display. Saw it today as the Michiana Chapter held their business meeting. Jim

      Comment


      • #4
        Here is the last Studebaker built, a 1964 Avanti, and also the ninth of nine factory R3 Avantis built, on display since December on the Studebaker National Museum turntable.
        Click on each thumbnail below for a larger view.
        Attached Files
        Lew Schucart
        Editor, Avanti Magazine

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          'Save your nickels and dimes, Bill; that final Hawk has traded hands a time or two, IIRC.

          (Remember: Exactly a year ago, I was making plans to dodge snowflakes with Howe Clark for a fast, three-day, 2,000-odd mile round trip to south Texas to pick up a car I had wanted for decades; an Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire...all things cometh to he who waiteth and all that, you know... ) BP
          The last Hawk is owned by a Forum member in Nevada.
          Brian Greenall
          Melbourne, OZ
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
            The last Hawk is owned by a Forum member in Nevada.
            Uh-oh; Brian knows where it is...it will be in a container floating across the Pacific Ocean before the end of the decade. BP

            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

            Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

            G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I thought that the "Final U.S. built Studebaker" was a truck. The last civilian truck was Dec. 27, 1963, but I believe that some Zip Vans were assembled after that.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

              SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

              Comment


              • #8
                Is this R5643? Is it no longer in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland? The Studebaker National Museum turntable is certainly a nice way to display it. Isn't it the last Avanti though, rather than the "last Studebaker"? Wasn't that a either a 1966 Daytona or 1966 Cruiser (without the Lark name)?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Whoever thought of installing that turntable in the Studebaker National Museum's foyer was brilliant! What a great way to display a vehicle!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
                    Is this R5643? Is it no longer in the Crawford Museum in Cleveland? The Studebaker National Museum turntable is certainly a nice way to display it. Isn't it the last Avanti though, rather than the "last Studebaker"? Wasn't that a either a 1966 Daytona or 1966 Cruiser (without the Lark name)?
                    See Post #3. BP

                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                    Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Uh-oh; Brian knows where it is...it will be in a container floating across the Pacific Ocean before the end of the decade. BP

                      No that isn't going to happen Bob, Larry doesn't want to sell it and I am more interested in purchasing his 64 R2 Superhawk!
                      Brian Greenall
                      Melbourne, OZ
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The R3 Avanti is on temporary loan from the Crawford Museum
                        Lew Schucart
                        Editor, Avanti Magazine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                          No that isn't going to happen Bob, Larry doesn't want to sell it and I am more interested in purchasing his 64 R2 Superhawk!
                          Well, I dunno, Brian; I said by the end of the decade!

                          Let's refresh this thread in 2020 and see who owns the car! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                          Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                          G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X