Question on 63 Super Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 63 Super Lark

On the 63 Super Lark, they had a large fan shroud. When they used that large fan shroud, did they still install the small shroud on the radiator at the top?
    THANKS
    PAUL

It is extremely rare for any Lark to have the optional Fan Shroud, it was sometimes on A/C Cars, Police Cars or JT Cars, but I do not believe it was Standard on anything.

So it may take a while to find someone who has actually seen a Factory installed one to answer this, I do not remember if they had the "Hands shield" or not, sorry.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I removed my hand shield.
      I wish I had not..

Comment

Paul, as you can see in the attached link from Popular Science, the car tested does not have a full shroud:

(first posted 10/16/2013, Revised and updated 8/19/2023)      We keep coming back to this topic, first with yesterday’s Comet and then today’s Falcon Sprint.  That era was indeed the beginning […]

This is a early car, as it also has the Avanit 160 speedo, before the Lark 160 was introduced. Also note it has a 3:54 axle. Back to the shrouds - I installed one one mine, but left off the hand shield. As Rich stated, the shrouds are not seen that often, and when I have seen them, there has not been a hand shield (never knew what that thing was called!)
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Here is a '64: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=shroud

Craig

Comment

Craig
            that pic from the richard quinn collection is identical to what i have. The part number is real nice on the top of the schroud. The radiator is an air conditioned car radiator with the mount on the top with two holes to mount the hand shield, and i was curious to see if they used the holes. Thanks for the response
            paul

Comment

Try getting in touch with Jim Pepper. He has a 63 Super Lark that he has owned for eternity, and he can probably get you the correct info you need. Bill

Comment

A stock '63 Super Lark could only be an R1 or an R2...so only the small 'fingers protector' would be used.

Comment

NO, that is incorrect because the 63 Lark this complete shroud came out of it was on from new, and it was an R1. I am sure the one on the richard quinn pic is correct
                  THANKS

Comment

Here is the Ebay 'desert car' '63 that was up for auction a few years ago. I did save the photos of the engine with the unusual shroud.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
                      NO, that is incorrect because the 63 Lark this complete shroud came out of it was on from new, and it was an R1. I am sure the one on the richard quinn pic is correct
                      THANKS
                      Well I guess it's possible that R1's may have had this full shroud whereas an R2 would not have it due to the extra clearance needed for the supercharger. I guess it's time to open the parts/chassis manual!

Comment

Paul, as I mentioned, I have a fan shroud on my factory '63 R2 Lark. One thing to keep in mind is if you install the shroud, it is just about impossible to get the blower belt off! The blower belt is to fat and rigid to snake off the pulley, as it is to close to the blower. In fact, if I need to chage the bets, I prop up the radiator, take the four bolts off that hold the shroud and radiator, and push the shroud back over the water pump in order to access the belts.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1687304
                        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                          Paul, as I mentioned, I have a fan shroud on my factory '63 R2 Lark. One thing to keep in mind is if you install the shroud, it is just about impossible to get the blower belt off! The blower belt is to fat and rigid to snake off the pulley, as it is to close to the blower. In fact, if I need to chage the bets, I prop up the radiator, take the four bolts off that hold the shroud and radiator, and push the shroud back over the water pump in order to access the belts.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]31346[/ATTACH]
                          Very nice picture. So the finger guard is only the portion on the radiator and the extension is not put on..

Nice engine, but why the bungee strap across the air cleaner hose?

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                            Very nice picture. So the finger guard is only the portion on the radiator and the extension is not put on..

Nice engine, but why the bungee strap across the air cleaner hose?
                            You know, I can't remember why that bungee cord is sitting there! I must have been using it to hold something back while I was working on it...it certainly is not there now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	13 MCACN lark engine FB.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1687336
                            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Working...
                            X