Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clem64
    replied
    Wow guys, thanks for the immediate response. As Craig reminded I have allready ordered the Production Order (see topic "Autumn Haze"), can't wait. The outdoor photo at the top was taken a week before we purchased it from a fellow member of the Cascade Chapter. It is at an "undisclosed location" in Oregon and that is yours truly stomping around inspecting as much as possible in the late evening. As for the mysterious vehicle slightly protruding in the garage? All I can say is that it is a famous Brittish make car from the mid sixties that has some kind of a feline creature in its emblem and I think there is a X involved there somewhere. Oh, and it only sits 2 people and it's not ours.

More on the glove box tag decoding: At this point I am pretty sure that the P15 correspondes with the P-6115 color chip on our Ditzler Color Code card and is Desert Sand. I also still feel that the BGE on the tag is the fin insert color until, and/or better info comes forth. Having said this, I must say that the actual color of the car today (75%+-original paint exterior)to me, is more beige than the Ditzler color chip Desert Sand. Even the unexposed areas in the trunk,door jams and engine compartment are still very close to the exterior color that spent almost 46 years in the SoCal desert sun. It's hard to ignore that P-15 designation on the tag even though the I think the color is much closer to the 1960 Spring Color P-6024 Sudan Beige. My better half has said all along that the car is Desert Sand color slightly sun baked, and she makes a good point, so I'll go with that (and the P-15 on the tag). Of course if some new info comes to light about this, I'll let you guys know. I think I will get a DuPont Color Chip and see how it compares real time. A fellow chapter member suggested that the WW letters on the tag might mean 2 barrel carb?

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM

Leave a comment:

• Clem64
    replied
    Wow guys, thanks for the immediate response. As Craig reminded I have allready ordered the Production Order (see topic "Autumn Haze"), can't wait. The outdoor photo at the top was taken a week before we purchased it from a fellow member of the Cascade Chapter. It is at an "undisclosed location" in Oregon and that is yours truly stomping around inspecting as much as possible in the late evening. As for the mysterious vehicle slightly protruding in the garage? All I can say is that it is a famous Brittish make car from the mid sixties that has some kind of a feline creature in its emblem and I think there is a X involved there somewhere. Oh, and it only sits 2 people and it's not ours.

More on the glove box tag decoding: At this point I am pretty sure that the P15 correspondes with the P-6115 color chip on our Ditzler Color Code card and is Desert Sand. I also still feel that the BGE on the tag is the fin insert color until, and/or better info comes forth. Having said this, I must say that the actual color of the car today (75%+-original paint exterior)to me, is more beige than the Ditzler color chip Desert Sand. Even the unexposed areas in the trunk,door jams and engine compartment are still very close to the exterior color that spent almost 46 years in the SoCal desert sun. It's hard to ignore that P-15 designation on the tag even though the I think the color is much closer to the 1960 Spring Color P-6024 Sudan Beige. My better half has said all along that the car is Desert Sand color slightly sun baked, and she makes a good point, so I'll go with that (and the P-15 on the tag). Of course if some new info comes to light about this, I'll let you guys know. I think I will get a DuPont Color Chip and see how it compares real time. A fellow chapter member suggested that the WW letters on the tag might mean 2 barrel carb?

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by studegary
    I suggest that you get the build sheet from the SNM. You will find it to be interesting for other than the color information.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    If you re-read his post on the other thread, to which you quoted to, you will take note he has already sent for it!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by studegary
    I suggest that you get the build sheet from the SNM. You will find it to be interesting for other than the color information.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    If you re-read his post on the other thread, to which you quoted to, you will take note he has already sent for it!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    That is a line setting form. The body color form, that is/was on the bottom of the glove box is more rectangular, like Dick posted, and contains the color name. I suggest that you get the build sheet from the SNM. You will find it to be interesting for other than the color information.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    That is a line setting form. The body color form, that is/was on the bottom of the glove box is more rectangular, like Dick posted, and contains the color name. I suggest that you get the build sheet from the SNM. You will find it to be interesting for other than the color information.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It is very clear to me that your car, for whatever reason got it's line setting form stuck to the glove box, usually they were on the seat, on the floor, under the windshield wiper, under the carpet (after retail delivery), wherever the final line left it.

For some reason also the paint label was never there or later lost.

But fortunately, you still have the option to get the real deal, the Production Order from the SNM which will tell all. City Delivered to, Date ordered, date built, date shipped, Ign. and Door Key #, trunk & glovebox key #, EVERYTHING! [^]

It is also pretty clear that this is a beige car (whatever the Stude. name was for it for '61) It was very common on '61 Larks.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It is very clear to me that your car, for whatever reason got it's line setting form stuck to the glove box, usually they were on the seat, on the floor, under the windshield wiper, under the carpet (after retail delivery), wherever the final line left it.

For some reason also the paint label was never there or later lost.

But fortunately, you still have the option to get the real deal, the Production Order from the SNM which will tell all. City Delivered to, Date ordered, date built, date shipped, Ign. and Door Key #, trunk & glovebox key #, EVERYTHING! [^]

It is also pretty clear that this is a beige car (whatever the Stude. name was for it for '61) It was very common on '61 Larks.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    I've not seen a paint label like that. All that I've found look like this one that is on my '55 Sedan...

Your's looks like it contains a lot more info

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    I've not seen a paint label like that. All that I've found look like this one that is on my '55 Sedan...

Your's looks like it contains a lot more info

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    There always seems to be some inconsistency on those factory forms. For instance, they had a list of 'Factory Item Nos.', and I think '66' probably refers to backup lights. If the 'WW' means 'white wall' tires, they probably did that because it was more specific than the Factory Item No. which was the same for all tires.

Dwain G.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    There always seems to be some inconsistency on those factory forms. For instance, they had a list of 'Factory Item Nos.', and I think '66' probably refers to backup lights. If the 'WW' means 'white wall' tires, they probably did that because it was more specific than the Factory Item No. which was the same for all tires.

Dwain G.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Beautiful car. The '61 Hawks are definitely eye catchers. [^]

All of the little labels like that, that I've noticed, actually had the name of what the color was, not codes. For example, on my Uncle's '51 Starlight Coupe, it has, "Maui Blue". Grandad's '57 Silver Hawk has, "Alaskan Blue". And so on...

As a side note, when I removed the glove box door from my '63 Lark, the label was there on the dash, though hiddin by the lid. "Ermine White", the car indeed was.

Does anyone know if trucks came with any labels like that?

Oh, BTW, what's that peaking out the garage?

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Beautiful car. The '61 Hawks are definitely eye catchers. [^]

All of the little labels like that, that I've noticed, actually had the name of what the color was, not codes. For example, on my Uncle's '51 Starlight Coupe, it has, "Maui Blue". Grandad's '57 Silver Hawk has, "Alaskan Blue". And so on...

As a side note, when I removed the glove box door from my '63 Lark, the label was there on the dash, though hiddin by the lid. "Ermine White", the car indeed was.

Does anyone know if trucks came with any labels like that?

Oh, BTW, what's that peaking out the garage?

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• Clem64
    started a topic 61 Hawk Colors Part 2

61 Hawk Colors Part 2

Gary:

As we all know it's never safe to "assume" anything.....
    Thanks for the 2x4 up side the noggin. After reading your reply about checking the bottom of the glove box for the factory label, I thought gosh,maybe I ought to check and see if just by the slim chance it's still there,duh-oh. My defense is that we have only had the Hawk for 3 weeks and I have been occupied in other areas of the car.... Went out to the garage, contorted my senior citizen body around and with flashlight in hand, took a look. Gee what's that little label looking thing dangling from under the front edge of the glove box. Got the camera, re-contorted the bod (you know, head on floorboard, legs up over the seat, etc.) and started clicking away. A discovery like this is not unlike finding dinosaur bones.

I utilized Post-It Notes to hold the ends up for the photos because of their mild sticky nature. The label is very delicate and even the Post-It Notes pulled some of the paper off the label when I removed them. Initialy I had tried to remove the label before the photo session with a razor blade, but the paper was trying to become dust. Fortunately I realized that I had better do the photos first. Later after the photos, which came out great, I did remove the label. I used a little water on a sponge and when I felt it was damp enough, I used the razor blade. It took about ten minutes to get it off without tearing it. The bad news; the water dissolved some of the ink in the central part of the label; the good news is I have those great photos. Advice to anyone who undertakes this type of removal in the future is to use as little water as possibe in the softening process, oh and take photos first!

Hopefully you guys can help me decipher what some of the numbers and letters mean. I can't make out the upper left, looks like something 4 6. could be 61V C6 (same as the firewall tag). P15 I think is the color Desert Sand and BGE could be the insert color? 2062 is on the firewall tag. Next looks like 4128? 1296 V19257 (some of that is the VIN#) Can't quite make out the beginning of the second line, then A ? TNV is tan vinyl interior. 6 ? then x'd out numbers and then 50460 ? Third line is Auto (trans), PCV (pos crankcase vent, it was a California desert car) WW ? 66 ? AC3147 ? Fred Fox's June 1989 article in TW on 61 Hawks shows AC3147 as a push button radio with cowl antenna, but our Hawk has a deck antenna, so a mystery there.

Dean Croft
    Roseburg,OR

CLEM
Working...
X