Cowl Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowl Tag

During engine compartment cleanup the Cowl Tag showing the body identification and sequence number somehow got legs and has gone missing.

Anyone know where duplicate Cowl Tags can be made?

Mine is from a 48 Commander but I believe that tags in this date range are the same all the way up to 1966.

Can't believe it's gone, but if it happened to me, I'll bet it's happened to others.

Dick

Some people collect cowl tags like Mr.Biggs for instance, but you need to find one that is for a 48 Commander and the correct body type, otherwise it would just be misleading.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Some people collect cowl tags like Mr.Biggs for instance, but you need to find one that is for a 48 Commander and the correct body type, otherwise it would just be misleading.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

If you do an internet search, there are companies that will make new cowl tags. BUT, they will want documentation! A picture of the old tag, a copy of the production order, and that should satisfy them. It won't hurt that it's 4-door either. Because these are not common tags, like Mopars and GM's, an old tag off another car as an example wouldn't hurt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

If you do an internet search, there are companies that will make new cowl tags. BUT, they will want documentation! A picture of the old tag, a copy of the production order, and that should satisfy them. It won't hurt that it's 4-door either. Because these are not common tags, like Mopars and GM's, an old tag off another car as an example wouldn't hurt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

They're only the same thru '64 - and on US-assembled Studes at that. Canadian Studes were different in later years.
            What body style is it? I may have one here.

Tom, there may be folks that make body tags, but if you can find one that advertizes they make Stude body tags, I'd sure like to know about it!
            Heck, I could hammer out A tag with proper documentation on it. I doubt it would pass for authentic tho![xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They're only the same thru '64 - and on US-assembled Studes at that. Canadian Studes were different in later years.
              What body style is it? I may have one here.

Tom, there may be folks that make body tags, but if you can find one that advertizes they make Stude body tags, I'd sure like to know about it!
              Heck, I could hammer out A tag with proper documentation on it. I doubt it would pass for authentic tho![xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I doubt anyone has asked them. The tin wouldn't be that hard to find. It's just a matter of having the correct dies to stamp with. And I wouldn't think they would be that hard to find.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I doubt anyone has asked them. The tin wouldn't be that hard to find. It's just a matter of having the correct dies to stamp with. And I wouldn't think they would be that hard to find.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

The "tin" is actually a zinc alloy, best I can determine. The "dies" are actually a machine with matching male and female figures that clasp the zinc strip between them to form the digits. If you were to simply stamp them from the backside with the male type, the resultant digit would be woefully mis-formed.
                    There ARE this sort of "label-maker" to be had, but the one's I've seen won't accomodate the proper-sized metal strip to emulate what Studebaker used for most of it's production years.
                    The later Canadian-style tags were different in size, font and to some degree - coding. They also used a narrower aluminum strip instead of zinc.

Early after the SB shutdown, there were some blank tags to be found. I have a couple that a long-time vendor gave me some years ago. (they're not for sale[:I]). We speculated as to what happened to the machine that these were made on. Surely Studebaker had one somewhere in the plant. But quite likely it was sent to scarp or sold as surplus without too much thought as to it's significance to history. After all, Studes lost their luster as used cars early on!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

The "tin" is actually a zinc alloy, best I can determine. The "dies" are actually a machine with matching male and female figures that clasp the zinc strip between them to form the digits. If you were to simply stamp them from the backside with the male type, the resultant digit would be woefully mis-formed.
                      There ARE this sort of "label-maker" to be had, but the one's I've seen won't accomodate the proper-sized metal strip to emulate what Studebaker used for most of it's production years.
                      The later Canadian-style tags were different in size, font and to some degree - coding. They also used a narrower aluminum strip instead of zinc.

Early after the SB shutdown, there were some blank tags to be found. I have a couple that a long-time vendor gave me some years ago. (they're not for sale[:I]). We speculated as to what happened to the machine that these were made on. Surely Studebaker had one somewhere in the plant. But quite likely it was sent to scarp or sold as surplus without too much thought as to it's significance to history. After all, Studes lost their luster as used cars early on!

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X