windshield gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield gasket replacement

ordered new gasket for my 63 gt hawk,i will take it to an auto glass shop and get an estimate on install but should I remove the stainless steel molding first ?thanks

No it is embedded in the rubber gasket. The glass must be removed to remove the trim. Conversely, the trim must be installed in the rubber BEFORE the glass is installed in the car. The outwards "A" pillar trim can be removed, they are not in the gasket, but the top and bottom moldings remain in the rubber.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Make sure the glass people have your shop manual. The guys doing my GT were confident in knowing what they were doing that when I introduced my shop manual to them it was dismissed. Ok, so you know what you are are doing I assumed to myself. A few minutes later I found this idiot trying to pry my A pillar stainless from the windshield gasket while the old windshield was still installed in the car. Now just a minute before you screw up. Ya gotta watch-em. cheers jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

My experience is the same, Jim.
        While the old glass installers are experienced in the rubber gaskets, bedding compounds and string installations, many of the new generation professionals can read our shop manuals and still not use sufficient or proper bedding compound to prevent rain water leaks. You can always remove excess; you cannot inject once inadequate.
        Modern design and installation with modern sealants is a huge technology advance, saving greatly in time and money. New, young, inexperienced and well-meaning service providers need to understand things have not always been as simple as we all would like.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

My installer did the install without any bedding compound and said they all leaked anyway. I redid it myself using 3m 08509 bedding compound. Just so you know that installers do not always know how.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
            Make sure the glass people have your shop manual. The guys doing my GT were confident in knowing what they were doing that when I introduced my shop manual to them it was dismissed. Ok, so you know what you are are doing I assumed to myself. A few minutes later I found this idiot trying to pry my A pillar stainless from the windshield gasket while the old windshield was still installed in the car. Now just a minute before you screw up. Ya gotta watch-em. cheers jimmijim
            Sometimes it's worth it to pay extra for the knowledge and experience.

Comment

Here's a Lark, not a Hawk , but similar process...

http://dicksteinkamp.wordpress.com/2...he-windshield/
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

thanks matt & JIM AND ALL, WILL CHECK SHREVEPORT AND MONROE LA OR LITTLE ROCK AR THEY ARE THE 3 BIG TOWNS CLOSEST TO ME IT WOULD BE WORTH THE 100 MILE TRIP TO GET IT DONE RIGHT.

Comment

Working...
                X