Brought home the 56 Transtar today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brought home the 56 Transtar today!

Anybody know how to tell what sorta SBF this is in this Stude Transtar? All the books I have say that the last digit of the VEHICLE's serial # tells what displacement engine it has. Somehow I doubt that'll be the case with this '56 Studebaker![8]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Bob,

Is it restorable or are you planning to part it out? If the latter, Chester needs some more parts for his.

Gary

Comment

Bob,

Is it restorable or are you planning to part it out? If the latter, Chester needs some more parts for his.

Gary

Comment

Bob,
        Have fun with the Transtar. Now you have a pair.
        By the way, how's the Provincial coming along?
        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Bob,
          Have fun with the Transtar. Now you have a pair.
          By the way, how's the Provincial coming along?
          Rog

Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do with this thing. I bought it on impulse and for the idea of saving it from a lesser fate. It's got a partly diassembled Ford smallblock of some sort and an automatic tranny as well. It's also got what looks like a Dana 60 rear under it's flat bed.
            It's got some rot around the lower, front door jamb, but it's very localized. Otherwise, it looks to be solid. As I said before, it's got a hefty flat bed in place of where it's original utility bad was.
            The sheet metal has value, we know that. I may just part it out and let it go at that. It COULD BE saved, but if it was sold intact, I'd want some recompense to cover the money that the parts would bring.
            If I do part it out, the underpinnings could be had right cheap.

Little bit of touch-up here...

Little bit of squinting there...

And a freshened up SBF here! Good to go![] Hmmmm... wonder if that's a 289???
            [img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/.../9/22/56MM.jpg [/img]
            Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do with this thing. I bought it on impulse and for the idea of saving it from a lesser fate. It's got a partly diassembled Ford smallblock of some sort and an automatic tranny as well. It's also got what looks like a Dana 60 rear under it's flat bed.
              It's got some rot around the lower, front door jamb, but it's very localized. Otherwise, it looks to be solid. As I said before, it's got a hefty flat bed in place of where it's original utility bad was.
              The sheet metal has value, we know that. I may just part it out and let it go at that. It COULD BE saved, but if it was sold intact, I'd want some recompense to cover the money that the parts would bring.
              If I do part it out, the underpinnings could be had right cheap.

Little bit of touch-up here...

Little bit of squinting there...

And a freshened up SBF here! Good to go![] Hmmmm... wonder if that's a 289???
              [img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/.../9/22/56MM.jpg [/img]
              Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's got a partly diassembled Ford smallblock of some sort and an automatic tranny as well.
                Didn't Studebaker make the 289 for Ford [)]?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's got a partly diassembled Ford smallblock of some sort and an automatic tranny as well.
                  Didn't Studebaker make the 289 for Ford [)]?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yeah! And check out how neatly they adapted those V8 mounts to go where a Big 6 once sat! This thing was a Bell Telephone truck when new. Still has some BT stickers in the cab and was definitely painted BT green when new.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah! And check out how neatly they adapted those V8 mounts to go where a Big 6 once sat! This thing was a Bell Telephone truck when new. Still has some BT stickers in the cab and was definitely painted BT green when new.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Bob,Pete would look good with that spotlight mounted on him.On drivers side of course.You could spot them orphan studes at night then.Good looking truck to start with though.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Bob,Pete would look good with that spotlight mounted on him.On drivers side of course.You could spot them orphan studes at night then.Good looking truck to start with though.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

This 56 has a bit of rot right near the lower door hinges. Not so bad that it couldn't be saved tho. Honestly - I'm leaning towards it serving as parts. The spare RF fender that came with it is worth what I paid for the truck! Then there's the rest!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

This 56 has a bit of rot right near the lower door hinges. Not so bad that it couldn't be saved tho. Honestly - I'm leaning towards it serving as parts. The spare RF fender that came with it is worth what I paid for the truck! Then there's the rest!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X