1958 Packard Starlight on Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Packard Starlight on Ebay

There is a 1958 Packard Hardtop on ebay right now. It has lots of potential. Seems many of these late Packards have turned up in the Pacific Northwest.

Even has a "Marks Motors" license plate frame. Marks was a well established Studebaker dealer in east Portland.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-2-DO...US_Cars_Trucks
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This car was 33 from the end of non-Hawk 1958 Packards.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What do they mean "Starlight?" There was never a 1958 Packard Starlight. There was a:

Packard 4-Door Sedan known as the Packard Sedan

A Packard 2-Door Hardtop known as the Packard Hardtop

A Packard Station Wagon known simply as the Packard Station Wagon

And a Hawk known simply as the Packard Hawk

There were no other Packard appellations applied to these cars that year.
          Last edited by hausdok; 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM.
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

675 1958 Packard Hardtops were assembled, not 678 as the seller claims.

Comment

Probably used to differentiate from the Packard Hawk.

Comment

The hardtop and the Hawk don't look enough alike that one would need to differentiate one from the other.
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                  What do they mean "Starlight?" There was never a 1958 Packard Starlight. There was a:

Packard 4-Door Sedan known as the Packard Sedan

A Packard 2-Door Hardtop known as the Packard Hardtop

A Packard Station Wagon known simply as the Packard Station Wagon

And a Hawk known simply as the Packard Hawk

There were no other Packard appellations applied to these cars that year.
                  Well....actually there was! Early promotional material for the sedan based Hardtops did use the Starlight name.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                    Well....actually there was! Early promotional material for the sedan based Hardtops did use the Starlight name.

Chris.
                    Perhaps you saw a copy of the '57 annual stockholders report and mistook the caption of the Studebaker 2-door in that report for the Packard.

The 1957 annual S-P stockholders report describes the Packard advertising that was done to introduce the new models. The rollout was done with a large 16-page Sunday color supplement distributed by newspapers all across the country. According to the 57 annual report, it was the first such supplement of its kind by any auto manufacturer ever. I have a copy of that supplement and the word "Starlight" isn't used anywhere in that document.

The word "Starlight" was used in that 1957 annual stockholders report dated March 17, 1958 (St. Patrick's day); but it was used for the Studebakers. That report describes the Studebaker 4-door as the Studebaker President 4-door Sedan and the 2-door was described as the "President Starlight Hardtop". The Packard Hardtop is shown on page 3 of that report and labeled the Packard Hardtop and the Studebaker President Starlight Hardtop is shown on page 5; however, when one looks at the digital image of that scanned report the Packard Hardtop is the image displayed directly above the image of the Studebaker hardtop that is labeled "President Starlight Hardtop," so it's easy to see how one might have mistaken the President Starlight for the Packard Hardtop. In any event that wasn't advertising; it was a stockholders report and had limited distribution.

The "Starlight" appellation had been used for years as part of Studebaker model names - not the Packard name. It's pretty common for people to mistakenly call the '58 Packard sedans 400s or Clippers when they aren't either, but those are Packard names, why would S-P slap a Studebaker moniker on a Packard model when they were trying so hard to distinguish the Packards as a premium marque - a step up from the Studebakers? It doesn't really make sense.

I've been scouring the flea market vendors for any and all information on '58 Packards and haven't seen anything that calls the Packard 2-door a "Starlight." I'd like to find a copy of such literature; do you have a copy of said literature so I know what to look for the next time I'm out browsing the tables?
                    Last edited by hausdok; 12-12-2013, 02:28 AM.
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Perhaps you saw a copy of the '57 annual stockholders report and mistook the caption of the Studebaker 2-door in that report for the Packard.

The 1957 annual S-P stockholders report describes the Packard advertising that was done to introduce the new models. The rollout was done with a large 16-page Sunday color supplement distributed by newspapers all across the country. According to the 57 annual report, it was the first such supplement of its kind by any auto manufacturer ever. I have a copy of that supplement and the word "Starlight" isn't used anywhere in that document.

The word "Starlight" was used in that 1957 annual stockholders report dated March 17, 1958 (St. Patrick's day); but it was used for the Studebakers. That report describes the Studebaker 4-door as the Studebaker President 4-door Sedan and the 2-door was described as the "President Starlight Hardtop". The Packard Hardtop is shown on page 3 of that report and labeled the Packard Hardtop and the Studebaker President Starlight Hardtop is shown on page 5; however, when one looks at the digital image of that scanned report the Packard Hardtop is the image displayed directly above the image of the Studebaker hardtop that is labeled "President Starlight Hardtop," so it's easy to see how one might have mistaken the President Starlight for the Packard Hardtop. In any event that wasn't advertising; it was a stockholders report and had limited distribution.

The "Starlight" appellation had been used for years as part of Studebaker model names - not the Packard name. It's pretty common for people to mistakenly call the '58 Packard sedans 400s or Clippers when they aren't either, but those are Packard names, why would S-P slap a Studebaker moniker on a Packard model when they were trying so hard to distinguish the Packards as a premium marque - a step up from the Studebakers? It doesn't really make sense.

I've been scouring the flea market vendors for any and all information on '58 Packards and haven't seen anything that calls the Packard 2-door a "Starlight." I'd like to find a copy of such literature; do you have a copy of said literature so I know what to look for the next time I'm out browsing the tables?
                      No, I have never seen that annual report. But I have seen this.Click image for larger version

Name:	packard starlight.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1686825

One of several factory PR photos taken at an auto show. All show the hardtop model with the Starlight name on the license plate. I believe Fred Fox also commented on this further in one of his very well researched articals for Turning Wheels. Aparantly the more logical Starliner name (denoting a pillarless hardtop) couldnt be used since it was currently being used by Ford.

Chris.

Comment

It would help if you were scanning titles without pictures, I guess.
                        The hardtop and the Hawk don't look enough alike that one would need to differentiate one from the other.

Comment

Apparantly the more logical Starliner name (denoting a pillarless hardtop) couldnt be used since it was currently being used by Ford.
                          FoMoCo introduced the fastback roofline Starliner H/T in 1960 as an upscale Galaxie, the same roofline was used in 1961. 1960 Edsel also used this roof.

I've owned all 3 of these cars, also a 1958 President Starlite and a 1958 Packard H/T.

If you scroll down towards the bottom of the ebay ad, you'll see two pics of the SAME Packard H/T I owned.

I bought it from the original owner in 1970, sold it to Jim Swank in 1977, he still owns it today.
                          Last edited by WinM1895; 12-12-2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

No, I have never seen that annual report. But I have seen this.[ATTACH=CONFIG]30407[/ATTACH]

One of several factory PR photos taken at an auto show. All show the hardtop model with the Starlight name on the license plate. I believe Fred Fox also commented on this further in one of his very well researched articals for Turning Wheels. Aparantly the more logical Starliner name (denoting a pillarless hardtop) couldnt be used since it was currently being used by Ford.

Chris.
                            Ah, now I see where the confusion comes from - an auto show display. One or two car show display models isn't a brand name. I think you and I both know that there's often lots of stuff shown at auto shows which never hits the street. What officially hit the street was a Packard Hardtop and a Studebaker President Starlight Hardtop - two different brands sharing the same platform; kind of like Lexus and Toyota or Chevy and Cadillac. We don't have Lexus Camrys or Cadillac Caprices any more than we had Packard Starlights - the Starlight was Studebaker's moniker regardless of whatever faux pas some salesman working the car show made.

Bill,

I saw your photos and noted that the photo in Wickapedia was properly annotated Packard Hardtop.
                            Last edited by hausdok; 12-12-2013, 05:23 AM.
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Ah, now I see where the confusion comes from - an auto show display. One or two car show display models isn't a brand name. I think you and I both know that there's often lots of stuff shown at auto shows which never hits the street. What officially hit the street was a Packard Hardtop and a Studebaker President Starlight Hardtop - two different brands sharing the same platform; kind of like Lexus and Toyota or Chevy and Cadillac.

We don't have Lexus Camrys or Cadillac Caprices any more than we had Packard Starlights - the Starlight was Studebaker's moniker regardless of whatever faux pas some salesman working the car show made.
                              How could an autoshow salesman goof when the front plate clearly states PACKARD Starlite? And besides, car salesmen have nothing to do with preparing autoshow cars.

Back then, when the cars made the rounds of autoshow circuits, salesmen from local dealerships represented the cars. Today, you won't find a single car sales person at autoshows as the automakers hire specialty crews that have to memorize a certain spiel. If you ask a question outside their realm, they haven't a clue.
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 12-12-2013, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X