Is this really a dealer promo model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really a dealer promo model?

Found this on ebay this morning. Is this really a dealer promo model or is it a toy that was sold in toy stores? Either way, it's kind of cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1950s-S...item20dc187307

Interesting. Wonder what went on on the back?

Comment

It looks like a promo model, but I wouldn't swear to that. I have a promo model of the '59 Lark with friction drive. At least I believe it to be a promo.
      A number of companies used promos that were called slush models. I own one of those that was given to me when my dad bought a '50 Nash from Menendez Motors in Hempstead, NY. The salesman gave the model to me. I think it was toward the end of the model year. Anyway, the company used to models to demonstrate the various colors and color combinations that were available.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I think they might have been toy store items but would not be surprised if dealers sold them too. AMT. That's a good price for one.
        Here's a picture of a 52 I found doing a search. There was a hose that would steer the car using vacuum or pressure and an electric motor would drive the wheels. I don't know if they ever used the style with the exposed bulb in the second picture of a Ford. The rubber bulb dries up after all the years and they're mssing a lot of times.
        There's a clip with Buster Keaton playing with one on his TV show. I'll have to see if it's on youtube.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 12-05-2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Here's the video with Buster Keaton playing with the Studebaker remote car at the very end. I might download it since it's available.

https://archive.org/details/1950EpisodeOftheBusterKeatonShow

An episode of the live television series "The Buster Keaton Show", complete with commercials for Studebaker. This is said to be the sole surviving episode of this comedy series, which aired in the Los Angeles area.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
            Here's the video with Buster Keaton playing with the Studebaker remote car at the very end. I might download it since it's available.

https://archive.org/details/1950EpisodeOftheBusterKeatonShow

Cool video. The only time I wished for more commercials and less of the show. In fact, I searched out the commercials and didn't watch most of the program. Looks like he's playing with the same toy which leads me to believe this was a Studebaker authorized promo-type toy. I wonder if that was a Studebaker truck Buster jumped on toward the end of the show?

Comment

Wow, live t.v. with live commercials.

Comment

I was wondering about the truck too. I've never seen that part. I have a vhs tape with the Stude commercials on it.
                They're on youtube but they cut the end off with him playing with the car.

Comment

Here are a few photos of my '47 Commander 5 passenger coupe promo. My grandfather probably gave it to me back in the late '60s (He passed in '71). I must have been about 6 or 7 years old at the time. He had a rental house he was cleaning out and found it in the neighbor's trash can (BTW, this was in Hammond, Ind.--not very far from South Holland, Bordeaux Daytona).. Technically, this was my first Studebaker. Grandpa had his father-in-law's Model A at the time. Grandpa was a Ford man--please don't hold that against him

The stamping on the bottom reads: NAT PRODUCTS INC CHGO

National Products, Chicago??

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1686708Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1686709Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1686710Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1686711

Comment

That TV show was cool .....its amazing how far TV and car commercials have come ! ( not always for the better mind you )
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
                      Here are a few photos of my '47 Commander 5 passenger coupe promo. My grandfather probably gave it to me back in the late '60s (He passed in '71). I must have been about 6 or 7 years old at the time. He had a rental house he was cleaning out and found it in the neighbor's trash can (BTW, this was in Hammond, Ind.--not very far from South Holland, Bordeaux Daytona).. Technically, this was my first Studebaker. Grandpa had his father-in-law's Model A at the time. Grandpa was a Ford man--please don't hold that against him

The stamping on the bottom reads: NAT PRODUCTS INC CHGO

National Products, Chicago??
                      That's cool!
                      I should have known the dealer in Hammonds name but cheated and did a search. Lute. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...l=1#post687864

National products changed their name to Banthrico later(or one purchased the other?). There was an article in a magazine a few months back saying a company is producing their banks again but I forgot to get their website address.

Hmm, I just did a search and this site came up, they're showing the Studebaker pickup, the tooling must still exist! , I wonder how much they are? I can't figure out, I guess you'd have to contact them.
                      http://www.cuttingedgecatalog.com/automobiles_pg2.shtml
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

This seller has two other Studebaker promos currently on eBay along with some other brand promos.
                        He is about ten miles from me, but I do not know who it is.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, I sold a LOT of my model and toy collection ( over 300 pieces ) to a gentleman named Fred Stearns - - see link- - http://www.fredsmodelworldonline.com/new.htm. One of them was one of the remote controlled 53 or 54 coupe cars that was grey. ( I kept the 53 Ford remote car that my Dad had given me ) There were also several other toys and promos in the lot. He was very enthusiastic and honest with me, offered more money than I had asked a few "collectors" on some of the cars, and at the time wanted one of the Palmer brand Champ truck models which I had already sold to another fellow. John

Comment

Oh! I just found the Studebaker stake bed truck on their site!

Here's a chance to get one without the sides all busted up.

http://www.cuttingedgecatalog.com/tr...vehicles.shtml
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Ok, here's the article about the Banthrico/Cutting Edge Industries that was in Hemmings.

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature32.html

Looks like they have the Golden Hawk, the 1904 Studebaker, and some old Conestoga wagons. I don't see the 47-49 Starlight but maybe they have it. And they have Packards too. Some of the cars like the '04 and Hawk can still be found on ebay, the '04's are going for much.

They are made on demand, with a minimum production run of 24 per mold.
                              Maybe the SNM or someone can get some runs made.
                              Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X