No announcement yet.

frame reinforcement '53 hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or...you could do what I did to my '53 Starliner and the '53 convertible. I built up the body shell using heavy fabmat and fiberglass resin on the floor, up the back, sides and the firewall. It stiffins up the body shell itself which adds as much or more than a heavier frame. Also makes the whole assembly quieter/cooler.

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
    1953 Commander Convertible
    1954 Champion Coupe
    1960 Hawk

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Or...you could do what I did to my '53 Starliner and the '53 convertible. I built up the body shell using heavy fabmat and fiberglass resin on the floor, up the back, sides and the firewall. It stiffins up the body shell itself which adds as much or more than a heavier frame. Also makes the whole assembly quieter/cooler.

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
      1953 Commander Convertible
      1954 Champion Coupe
      1960 Hawk

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
      1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Leroy
        Cary's Fabrication
        804-241-5920
        Stude sheet metal repair panels.

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        61 Cursed Purple Hawk
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Leroy
          Cary's Fabrication
          804-241-5920
          Stude sheet metal repair panels.

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

It appears from my chassis parts catalog that Plate 15-4 shows a cross member 1501-8 (page 284) with a parts number of 534923. This seems to be the difference from the 4H to 5H. Is this the member that I would need and does anyone know if any are available?
            Thanks guys

Comment

It appears from my chassis parts catalog that Plate 15-4 shows a cross member 1501-8 (page 284) with a parts number of 534923. This seems to be the difference from the 4H to 5H. Is this the member that I would need and does anyone know if any are available?
              Thanks guys

Comment

Mike, Check your frame, It is different than the later frames where it drops down in front of the firewall. I tried to put a bat wing cross member on an early 53K and there is no frame to bolt the cross member to and the hog troughs have to be modified to bolt the ends to even if you make extensions to get it to the frame. Get someone to loan you one and try it before you buy. You might be sorry. Or you can turn around and sell it on e-bay and make a buck.

Comment

Mike, Check your frame, It is different than the later frames where it drops down in front of the firewall. I tried to put a bat wing cross member on an early 53K and there is no frame to bolt the cross member to and the hog troughs have to be modified to bolt the ends to even if you make extensions to get it to the frame. Get someone to loan you one and try it before you buy. You might be sorry. Or you can turn around and sell it on e-bay and make a buck.

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I think I may let it slide. I hit a pot hole recently and now notice that the passenger door does not close or fit as well as before. I have not measured the distance between the jambs to compare with the drivers side but believe I may have bent the frame up a little. A body shop pal says we can easily adjust this. I suppose this is what has prompted me to consider the frame reinforcement. Of course it can only solve some problems but not make it an all-solving solution

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I think I may let it slide. I hit a pot hole recently and now notice that the passenger door does not close or fit as well as before. I have not measured the distance between the jambs to compare with the drivers side but believe I may have bent the frame up a little. A body shop pal says we can easily adjust this. I suppose this is what has prompted me to consider the frame reinforcement. Of course it can only solve some problems but not make it an all-solving solution

Comment

Working...
                      X