Carpet for a 1958 Champion sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet for a 1958 Champion sedan

In my quest to fix up my new ride I figure I'd replace the stiff hard vinyl mat with some carpeting. I am under the assumption that 1958 is an odd year for carpeting - it's all by itself. 53-57 fits and 59 - 64 fits but mine is one year only. Is that true? Any recommendations for suppliers? Does JC Whitney still exist or is my age showing?

Doesn't SI list them?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It really can't be that different Sedan, (from '56 to '58) but of course there would be no listing for Original Carpet in Champions and Commanders since there never was any.

The only thing that comes to mind is the possibly lower or different shape Center Tunnel, because of the New for '58, one piece Driveline.

Is this a 2 Door Sedan or 4 Door Sedan?

Studebaker Vendors at:
      http://studebakervendors.com may have what you need.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-26-2013, 07:41 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        It really can't be that different Sedan, (from '56 to '58) but of course there would be no listing for Original Carpet in Champions and Commanders since there never was any.

The only thing that comes to mind is the possibly lower or different shape Center Tunnel, because of the New for '58, one piece Driveline.

Is this a 2 Door Sedan or 4 Door Sedan?

Studebaker Vendors at:
        http://studebakervendors.com may have what you need.
        1958 was the first year for the narrow style door sill moldings, so the carpet would have to extend out farther at the door openings than the '56 - '57 models.

Comment

The 57 Clippers used the narrow door sill moulding and carpet from Studebaker international for 56 President and 57 clipper are the same or at least they shipped me two of the same black carpet which we installed in my brothers 56 Classic and my Clipper. Did purchase two 56 design door sills for 56 they were very nice carpet not a high quality in my view

Comment

Some of the earlier years (1950's) had seam binding edges and that edge was not "tucked under" the sill plate. A fellow I spoke to at the International in Lancaster who had been a dealer or employee of a dealer back in those days gave me that information. My '55 has seam binding but my '66 does not. That could account for some of the difference.
            The reason for the laying out of the carpet over the sill in the older models, according to the former employee, was that "they appeared more luxurious".
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
            X