63 GT Hawk Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 GT Hawk Info

Hello, I am a new Stude owner that is having trouble finding production data for my car, it is a 63 GT Hawk with a 259, 4speed driveline and the VIN starts with 63VC.

Can anyone help me find more info?

thanks.

There is no info to be found on a Studebaker serial number, BUT...the good news is, it's all available at the Studebaker National Museum, they have copies of the original build slips (production order), and they have a website! [:0]

63VC does say it's some kind of an 8 cyl. 1963 Studebaker built at the Hamilton, Ont Canada Plant, the rest of the number is the line sequence number, that's all there is! The body tag under the hood on the pass. side of the firewall tells you that it is in fact a 63VC-K6 (Canadian G.T.Hawk) and the body number.

Didn't we already tell you this on anther post? Or is my memory slipping?

Added: Yes, it was the old 7/5/07 post: "Dick's '63 GT Hawk is on ebay" that you "revived" -there is more info for you there!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There is no info to be found on a Studebaker serial number, BUT...the good news is, it's all available at the Studebaker National Museum, they have copies of the original build slips (production order), and they have a website! [:0]

63VC does say it's some kind of an 8 cyl. 1963 Studebaker built at the Hamilton, Ont Canada Plant, the rest of the number is the line sequence number, that's all there is! The body tag under the hood on the pass. side of the firewall tells you that it is in fact a 63VC-K6 (Canadian G.T.Hawk) and the body number.

Didn't we already tell you this on anther post? Or is my memory slipping?

Added: Yes, it was the old 7/5/07 post: "Dick's '63 GT Hawk is on ebay" that you "revived" -there is more info for you there!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The October '93 issue of TW is all about the '63 Hawks...good info there. You can get the original production order for your car from the Studebaker National Musum. It will tell you when it was built and how it was originally optioned. I don't believe any '63 Hawks were built with a 259, but your production order will confirm exactly what engine (and serial number) your car was delivered with.

As JP says, if you pay to have it restored, you will not be able to recover your "investment". This may not be important to you, however. It's a hobby. We can spend money and STILL have fun! [8D].

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

The October '93 issue of TW is all about the '63 Hawks...good info there. You can get the original production order for your car from the Studebaker National Musum. It will tell you when it was built and how it was originally optioned. I don't believe any '63 Hawks were built with a 259, but your production order will confirm exactly what engine (and serial number) your car was delivered with.

As JP says, if you pay to have it restored, you will not be able to recover your "investment". This may not be important to you, however. It's a hobby. We can spend money and STILL have fun! [8D].

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

There were 4634 Hawks built for the 1963 model year. Of this total, 360 were assembled in Canada (including your car).

All domestic (US) 1963 Hawks were fitted with 289 V8s. Models sold outside the US were also available with 170 sixes or 259 V8s.

Your build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum will tell you more about your particular car.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

There were 4634 Hawks built for the 1963 model year. Of this total, 360 were assembled in Canada (including your car).

All domestic (US) 1963 Hawks were fitted with 289 V8s. Models sold outside the US were also available with 170 sixes or 259 V8s.

Your build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum will tell you more about your particular car.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary (and everybody else)
                The CORRECT production data for 1963 GT Hawks built in Canada is 363 (not 360)!!

Comment

Gary (and everybody else)
                  The CORRECT production data for 1963 GT Hawks built in Canada is 363 (not 360)!!

Comment

Art/monomaniac - I don't know what Fred K. Fox has shown, but I have a listing for '63 Hawks that shows 3649 domestic, 360 Canada and 625 export for a total of 4634. I will assume that your number of 363 for Canada is correct. In that case, which of the other number(s) that I show is incorrect? Is our difference of three perhaps due to the export of three Hawks from the Canadian plant? I am not questioning your correction. I would just like to get the numbers correct.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Art/monomaniac - I don't know what Fred K. Fox has shown, but I have a listing for '63 Hawks that shows 3649 domestic, 360 Canada and 625 export for a total of 4634. I will assume that your number of 363 for Canada is correct. In that case, which of the other number(s) that I show is incorrect? Is our difference of three perhaps due to the export of three Hawks from the Canadian plant? I am not questioning your correction. I would just like to get the numbers correct.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I cannot argue the U.S. production. I have data only for the Hamilton (Canadian) production.

Comment

I cannot argue the U.S. production. I have data only for the Hamilton (Canadian) production.

Comment

Right click on the little boxes and "view image" to see his pictures. It's a 50 Commander.

JDP/Maryland
                            64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Right click on the little boxes and "view image" to see his pictures. It's a 50 Commander.

JDP/Maryland
                              64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              52 Starliner
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X