http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4161551202.html
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Nice looking car...seems to be in good shape.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Looks like it is totally a Mechanics special! The Interior is better than "Driver" quality from what we can see. And the Paint may be "Useable".

Was 1981 after Avanti Motors went from the 350 Engine to the smog "HO" 305?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The rubber bumpers must have been retrofitted since in '81 Avantis were still sporting chrome. Maybe it's actually an '84 or '85?
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The air cleaner looks to be a 1980's '305' piece; the 350 cars of that era typically had the wide snorkel with a zip duct for cold air induction.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            The rubber bumpers must have been retrofitted since in '81 Avantis were still sporting chrome. Maybe it's actually an '84 or '85?
            Good catch. I can't imagine anyone retrofitting the plastic units unless the car had major damage at some point.
            As I've mentioned before, I have a magazine article with a period interview with Blake from when the plastic bumpers were introduced, he said that chrome units would still be an option, but from what I gather, none were built.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

By 1981, US/Canadian Passenger Cars came with 17 digit VIN's. The 10th digit is the year: A = 1980; B = 1981 and etc.

The Safety Standard Certification Label has the production date printed at the left or right upper corner, similar to this: 6/81.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 11-20-2013, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich;

Was 1981 after Avanti Motors went from the 350 Engine to the smog "HO" 305?[/B
                [/COLOR]
                1981 was THE model year that Avanti went from the 350 to the 305.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm probably about 10 miles from this car if anyone talks with the owner, is interested, but wants another opinion... I HAVE a '63 Avanti, but I'm certainly NOT an Avanti expert...
                  Corley

Comment

If that car didn't have the hole in the roof, I'd probably have bought it by now. My machinist can build a killer 400" SBC for $2000 which would bolt right in.

What was the first year for the 4-speed overdrive automatic?

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X