International Zone Director Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Zone Director Elections

I wish to advise our international members that I'm a candidate for the SDC board position of International Zone Director.

I've been a SDC member for 7 years and, having recently retired, have the time and financial capacity to travel around our Studebaker world visiting the various International clubs, and look forward to doing so should I be elected.

I currently drive a 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan and have a couple of 1966 Cruisers in Los Angeles awaiting import approval documents and shipment.

More details including a photo are available on the SDC Drivers Club Home page studebakerdriversclub.com
    Click "news" and 2014 SDC Elections, then my name under the International Zone Heading.

Currently, I am Vice President of my local club here in South Australia, a forum moderator, and member of the New Zealand club, and look forward to your support and meeting you in my travels.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

John, be sure to ask about the requirements of the position so that you know what is expected of you.

I served for 1 year when the position was first created and struggled to understand what my responsibilities were. And I couldn't get much guidance from the board at the time.

Chris.

Comment

Chris, the requirements are currently being printed according to Skip Lackie. I'm standing because, as with the Zone Coordinator, nothing is ever produced to demonstrate that anything is done at all. Perhaps it is, but I have never read anything by the incumbent in TW, or our local Stude News, nor I believe this web forum.

I believe it was Skip Lackie who once related that we (SDC) don't know what if anything is achieved, I thought it was rather pointless having such positions, maybe the world has changed since then, but like you, I have no idea of what the incumbents have to do or if they achieve anything at all.

Time will tell in any case, we'll just have to wait.
      Last edited by avantilover; 11-13-2013, 12:44 AM.
      John Clements

Comment

Good luck, John!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Daytona Sports Sedan
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
            Chris, the requirements are currently being printed according to Skip Lackie. I'm standing because, as with the Zone Coordinator, nothing is ever produced to demonstrate that anything is done at all. Perhaps it is, but I have never read anything by the incumbent in TW, or our local Stude News, nor I believe this web forum.

I believe it was Skip Lackie who once related that we (SDC) don't know what if anything is achieved, I thought it was rather pointless having such positions, maybe the world has changed since then, but like you, I have no idea of what the incumbents have to do or if they achieve anything at all.

Time will tell in any case, we'll just have to wait.
            Well, not sure that was what I meant, but I will accept responsibility for the comments. I think what I said/meant was that the addition of the international zone (and board member) and the issuance of SDC chapter charters to some of the overseas clubs was (1) partly a response to a real need (having someone on the board who would be conscious of and a representative for those SDC members living outside North America, and (2) partly a gesture to recognize and honor the loyalty and enthusiasm of the overseas Studebaker nuts. This latter component was just a nice thing to do, since the overseas members and "chapters" (really independent clubs) are not much bound by the corporate bylaws and cannot benefit from such SDC benefits as meet insurance.

The bylaws, now available via a link on the main SDC website, include enough info about the board member positions to know what the job entails. Basically, the board runs the club, which means they make all important decisions about where to spend the budget, who to hire and appoint for paid and committee positions, etc. Those interested in the range of issues should take a look at the minutes of the last couple of board meetings that were printed in TW (usually the Nov or Dec issue). The bylaws committee is currently beavering away on revising the Policy and Procedures Manual to accommodate the changes triggered by the bylaws revisions. That said, the P&PM will not greatly expand the board member duties as can be inferred from the bylaws; rather it addresses such things as meeting protocols, appointment of proxies, etc. The committee is hoping to have a draft of the revised P&PM ready for presentation to the board by the end of the year.

I do endorse the idea of a board member to represent the intl zone, but trying to fit the ZC position into the intl (everywhere except Canada and the US) zone structure seems impossible and silly to me. Whomever wins the intl zone board member position might well recommend abolishing the ZC job for the intl zone, and replacing it with stronger Regional Manager positions, one for each continent or some other breakdown.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

John , good luck , hope to meet you in Dover and we won't hold it against you that you drive one of those Chevybakers <g>
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thx for the comments Skip, I must have misconstrued your remarks. We'll have to revamp the current system as you suggest. I confess to having been surprised there were regional managers. Lots to learn.
                John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  John , good luck , hope to meet you in Dover and we won't hold it against you that you drive one of those Chevybakers <g>
                  I look forward to sharing a beer with you Bob, I love my Chevybaker, lol.
                  John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Daytona Sports Sedan
                    Thanks Gary.
                    John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                      Good luck, John!
                      Thanks George, much appreciated.
                      John Clements

Comment

Just my humble .02 cents worth: Back in the '70's I was National Nash Car Club VP. Some of my duties were very specific and then there were areas not so specific. Depending upon the duties stated in the by-laws, the office holder can make suggestions for improvements to the Board. If approved, they get implemented. Basically, what I am trying to say is that the office holder can clarify, expand the job based on perceived necessity. The NCCA, at the time, had a different board structure than SDC. I was able, with board approval, to institute new procedures to help Region formation.
                        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds good George, I'd like to reinvigorate the International Zone structure so that members are aware of its existence, which they are probably not at present.

I'd also write an occasional column in TW, dependant upon information received.

Even if their was little to no interest from International members as appears to be the case with the International Zone Forum, they will be aware of its existence and who to contact to provide details of their activities, and can ask me to visit.

Ultimately, like the rest of the Zones, it's up to the members, our job is to take away any "I didn't know" excuses.

Onwards and upwards.
                          Last edited by avantilover; 11-14-2013, 11:33 PM.
                          John Clements

Comment

Working...
                          X