Corvette transaxle complete under 53 Studebaker Pick Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette transaxle complete under 53 Studebaker Pick Up

Have always wanted to adapt a complete Corvette transaxle, as shown in the pictures attached, to one of my projects. After visiting Cleveland Pic A Part last week to find a low mileage LS1, LS2, LS3 or L99 "drop", (engine and trans with all accessories as it comes out of the car), for our 31 Auburn Brougham Allen Barth is redoing, I spied a 37k mile LS1 350 horse 2001 Transaxle for $6200.00 !!! To put it into perspective, the 24k mile, variable valve 430 horse L99 I found for the Auburn cost me $8000.00. The transaxle is a steal !! Allen and I discussed putting it under the second Golden Hawk I have sitting ...waiting for us to complete our present project. Long story short...the hub to hub on the transaxle is 66 1/2 front 67 1/2 rear with a 104.5 inch wheel wheelbase. You can lengthen the wheelbase by adding to the tube and a longer drive shaft back to the trans easily. You CANNOT narrow either front or rear suspension without changing the geometry and the overall handling they spent millions on developing that brought them to another level beginning with the C5 project thru the C7.....the 2014 Corvette introduction. The Studebaker Hawk can stand only a 58 1/2 hub to hub. So we were SOL. I took measurements of a SSR complete chassis...motor/trans etc. they had there as well as the trac width of the transaxle. http://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-...ull-frame.html. The wheelbase needs shortened 4 inches and rear differential needs narrowed if it were used. The trac on the corvette was 70.5 and the track on the Studebaker is 70.5 with the ability to fudge the front or rear fenders a bit if need be. Allen will have to fabricate a frame to the existing pieces or a complete on similar to the one Eckert offers...http://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/1181505-06-chevrolet-ssr-ls2-rolling-chassis-driveline-full-frame.html. At any rate, they will break down and crate the transaxle for 1100.00 and ship the L99 for 200 bucks. So it appears I am going to be getting my wish....a 2001 Corvette under my 53 Studebaker pickup !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mike super; 11-09-2013, 10:45 AM.

ooo..la...la. sounds good to me. as always, keep us posted. cheers, junor
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

There's two or three parts yards in that part of the country that sell similar units on Ebay. On a cold night, I'll lookup Corvette Chassis on Ebay and dream about finding an Avanti body and sliding it over one of those. I know the track width is wider but I've got a body saw and lots of glass mat and resin.

Mike, I'm glad it is you that is taking the plunge and hopefully you'll document the install on the truck. The frame set up I'll find most interesting.

I've looked at a couple of fire victims lately that were still on the 'vette "frame" which could help with my moderate skill level.

Good show, Bob
      , ,

Comment

I enjoy your ideas, quality of work, and posts about your exploits. As for this project, I'd be interested in seeing your progression from "idea" to how you arrive at the finished project. I suppose the most modern technological method would be to do a cad/cam mockup by computer.

My "redneck" method would be to take a Studebaker truck chassis ... suspend it over the Corvette chassis and proceed with a tape measure, cutting tools, and a welder.

I'm confident that the quality of tools, methods, and craftsmen you employ will produce far superior results.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Back in the mid 80's when the aluminum Corvette suspension first came out, a friend of mine bought the front and rear off a burned up Corvette, and in stalled it on his 55 C Cab. the front is exactly 1/2" narrower that the stock frame rails, welded in a 1/2" plate on each side, kicked in 1/4" on each side, and bolted in the front suspension, steering and motor mounts. modified the firewall and dropped in a chevy motor and trans.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Guys......All the credit on this one will go to Allen Barth.... NOT me. I took a tape measure to Pic a Part and determined the trac width was 1/2 inch less than what I had on the 53 pictured. Came home and sent Allen some shots...then called to ask him his thoughts. Allen said...and I quote.... "piece of cake". So Monday I go buy the LS3 and the transaxle. They will break down the unit into two boxes and send it with the palletized motor and trans to Washington State. Then all I do is write checks, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I'm confident that the quality of tools, methods, and craftsmen you employ will produce far superior results.
              Originally posted by mike super View Post
              Then all I do is write checks, nothing more.
              Well stated...In that case...my above quote remains accurate.
              Last edited by jclary; 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That will be one AMAZING truck. Just don't paint it a different color......
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

The only thing cooler then this idea will be the finished project, cant wait to see progress reports!

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                    That will be one AMAZING truck. Just don't paint it a different color......
                    I have narrowed my exterior color to either of the two trucks attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have that same exact exhaust setup in my shed i may try and rig under my Stude . maybe ............

Comment

*fingers crossed to see first Studebaker truck in vintage road racing events*
                        That bare transaxle is a thing of beauty.
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                          I have narrowed my exterior color to either of the two trucks attached.
                          i'd go with S-Dude's color. that grille on the other one doesn't do "it" for me...

looking forward to build pics!!! (my Avanti had a C-4 drivetrain).
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                            *fingers crossed to see first Studebaker truck in vintage road racing events*
                            That bare transaxle is a thing of beauty.
                            I agree that the transaxle is a thing of beauty. So much so, is my intention to show it off in the completed truck. Preliminary thoughts are cutting out the bed completely, leaving it open for viewing. Would install a power operated bed cover opening at the rear, hinged front with dual hyd assists. It would be made of aluminum and insulated to deaden sound. An entire inner bed would be built inside the present bed and tailgate affording you 3 inches of insulation and sound deadening material. Tail gate will not function. I would like to divide the floor into thirds installing 3 pieces of 1/4 safety glass to view the transaxle. That would give the box strength at two points each side. I would never use the bed in the truck. If I were to sell it doing this wound not hurt the value.

Comment

Or...how 'bout a dump bed or scissor-lift mechanism. Merely hit the controls and raise the bed for viewing.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X