Corvette transaxle complete under 53 Studebaker Pick Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    That's my concern, Mike. These little C-Cabs are about as neat as they come. Too much playing around with the dimensions is one of those risk vs reward things. Some of the examples shown, show what I would call a "Utility-Rod," but, nothing that would ignite the excitement of a sleek C-Cab adorning that Vette chassis and power.
    X2.

EVERY car is a compromise. You can make a C-Cab more utilitarian, roomier, able to carry more stuff...but in all cases that I can imagine they won't be as good looking as the original. I'd give up the "roomy" for the look of the original. Others may make a different decision.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

After having had my M Series on the road for the past 10 years, I can confirm what mike has already experience, Thumbs up from everyone from 3 to 93 yrs.
      The secret is always make it to suit your own tastes!
      Show no fear!
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

After building and enjoying my M Series I have thoughts for building another one.
        I have a vision! Think it would be stunning!
        Unfortunately with all of my current personal projects, I am not in a position to do one for myself????
        Good Roads
        Brian
        Last edited by woodysrods; 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM.
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca
        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
          If it where me I would cut the back panel right at the edge of the door and then across the floor and go a couple inches into the roof top just past the curve. Move the back panel back to where you want it and use some steel braces to hold everything in place. Then add to the floor and use a old door outer panel section for my cab corner so it has the right shape to it. The hard part would be the section to add to the roof. But very doable.
          I would think a good way to stretch one would be to start with two cabs. Take the front 2/3s of one and the back 2/3s of the other and mate them together. That would make the cab about 1/3 longer than original. Then you could either lengthen the door or keep the original door and fill in behind it.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hmmm, wheelbase is 104.5 inches, huh? I think I know a body style that might just fit, since it had a 103 inch wheelbase. And we don't need no stinking mufflers hanging out the back, no roll bars, no side impact beams, no big fat tires!

Click image for larger version

Name:	indycar_fig25_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1684637
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

That chassis is a piece of art,

I know I should be gutted for voicing this thought; but I'm picturing that chassis and engine under a CE.

OK, stop having coronaries - maybe under a completely replicated (custom molded in hand-laid fiberglass using an original CE as the mold) bed, cab and nose. The front and rear fenders would need to be widened. No?

That'd be pretty friggin' awesome!
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                That chassis is a piece of art,

I know I should be gutted for voicing this thought; but I'm picturing that chassis and engine under a CE.

OK, stop having coronaries - maybe under a completely replicated (custom molded in hand-laid fiberglass using an original CE as the mold) bed, cab and nose. The front and rear fenders would need to be widened. No?

That'd be pretty friggin' awesome!
                I apologize.....what is a CE ? I am sure it would do the CE proud. I know many love a completely restored to completely original. But you are entitled to your opinion. I personally feel that what I do is the way it should have been done.... the 50....the 80 years when the vehicles were built. They are a joy to drive .... more so they are reliable ...dependable....and safe. I retain the regal beauty of yesteryear as much as possible in all I do....just love to see the expression on the person's face when a fellow gets behind the wheel turns the key and the car starts on a dime and you hardly hear it..... You get the idea.
                Last edited by mike super; 11-14-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

CE = Coupe Express pick-up.

the most famous (or infamous) one here on the forum is "DEEPNHOCK"s yellow POS.
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Opted out of the Corvette transaxle today and took the 03 9600 mile 5.3 Vortec SSR roller (photos attached) Pick a Part had in inventory. Just made far more sense to us. It would have cost an added 5k for extending the torque tube in the transaxle, and custom build a carbon fiber drive shaft. Then add 5k ?? to build a frame to mate up the truck.....maybe more. That comes to 16K....maybe as much as 20k. The SSR roller was 7500.00 .....with less than 10k miles !!! All we need is to shorten it 4 inches to 112inches. I can hardly get away with 7500 bucks for a motor and trans in any of my retrofits. So Allen can move forward with a truck he has out there for this build and I will redo my green one here to the same color (eliminating the 56 grille color) here.

Also, anyone know of a rig coming out here and going back to the west coast empty please let Allen or I know.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice! And a bit envious!

Comment

Working...
                      X