Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corvette transaxle complete under 53 Studebaker Pick Up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    It will be quite the chassis for your truck!
    When I built my truck I custom built the box (over 400 fabricated pieces) to fit the over all look I was going for. My truck ended up with 105" wheelbase that I just love!
    Have logged over 85,000 miles on her to date.
    But, for us poor folks....I used an S10 Chassis c/w Ford rear end.
    Nothing as fancy as your will be, but it did turn into the 3 digets going thru turn 3 at the Studebaker proving grounds track in 2012.
    Good Luck with your build, we will all be watching!
    I may even pop down to Allen's to see it in person.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mike super View Post
      i have narrowed my exterior color to either of the two trucks attached.
      door number one!!!!!!!!!door number one!!!!!!!!!!!

      [ATTACH=CONFIG]29453[/ATTACH]
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mike super View Post
        Guys......All the credit on this one will go to Allen Barth.... NOT me. I took a tape measure to Pic a Part and determined the trac width was 1/2 inch less than what I had on the 53 pictured. Came home and sent Allen some shots...then called to ask him his thoughts. Allen said...and I quote.... "piece of cake".
        "Piece of cake" to Allen is generally something like torture to most of the rest of us. You've got the right guy

        That truck will be something special for sure.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

        Comment


        • #19
          The nice thing about any of the big fendered trucks is you can use a wider wheel base frame just by adding to the fenders to make them a little wider.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            The nice thing about any of the big fendered trucks is you can use a wider wheel base frame just by adding to the fenders to make them a little wider.
            That was in fact the deciding factor here to move forward. As it sits, she would fit without any alteration. But, if need be, we can do as you say ....adding to the fenders to make them a bit wider. Extending the tube, and internal drive shaft is simple. Our goal is to make certain when building the rails to meet the front and rear pieces we plan to attach to is every thing is square and to spec's to make certain we do not have handling problems and the geometry is exact. This is not my first rodeo. We are working on a complete on the fly 4 wheel drive 2006 Dodge Mega Cab chassis with Hemi.....4 wheel disc's and anti lock brakes. It too was the proper width to accept the trac width of the 58 Power Wagon. Kent Stauffer took the 26,000 mile roller I purchased from a dismantler, in Toledo Ohio, shortening the wheelbase 36 inches! It was off an 06 Dodge Mega Cab....4door 164 inch wheel base....9 1/2 ring gear front and 10 1/2 ring gear rear. He Z cut the frame and welded it together, strengthening it by welding an additional 1/4 L plate on the outside of the rail for strength. The short part of the L extending over the top of the rail supporting the rear cab mounts. He built and welded the front mounts and secured the cab at 4 points. He then mounted the front supports for the 58 radiator that references and secures the entire front grille and surround. I was able to buy new a complete bed....running boards....rear fenders and bulkhead and tailgate new for 4k !!!! Bought the truck for 5k from a Naval yard on the west coast....excellent condition. So she is in primer waiting sanding and painting. The first photo is of my friend's power wagon I found 4 years ago in southern Ohio that kent restored to original. It is like a tractor 528 gears....you have to fight it at 35 mph to keep her on the road and cannot hear each other talk in the cad going down the road !!! In my humble opinion the originals are good for parades ONLY. Ours presently sits 1 1/2 inches higher than the original. The plan is to drop her about 4 inches, for an end result far more appealing than the original, still using the 36 inch tall tires they came with.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #21
              Good to see your still going at it Mike . When I was at your place last winter I really enjoyed seeing that powerwagon , its going to be a fantastic truck and it looks like your '53 will be something else as well .....nice work
              sigpic

              Home of the Fried Green Tomato

              "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

              1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

              Comment


              • #22
                ....you have to fight it at 35 mph to keep her on the road and cannot hear each other talk in the cad going down the road !!! In my humble opinion the originals are good for parades ONLY.

                I find they are still useful for their ORIGINAL intent: Driving off-road in mountainous areas where conventional vehicles can't. They didn't need to go fast.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)




                Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

                Comment


                • #23
                  As my wife says sometimes,"In for a penny, in for a pound". Instead of shortening the frame 4" maybe you should add 4" to the cab. Most people would appreciate the extra room in the cab.
                  sigpic

                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    As my wife says sometimes,"In for a penny, in for a pound". Instead of shortening the frame 4" maybe you should add 4" to the cab. Most people would appreciate the extra room in the cab.
                    That's an interesting thought. (Fun to play with our imaginations and Mike's money.) We have in our SDC world several modified trucks using multiple cabs, and have seen the few examples of Studebaker's version of "crew" cabs. However, given the roundness of the trucks overall "cockpit/capsule"...and how important it's dimensional accuracy (remember the wooden gauge buck at the museum?)...Just where would you cut to add the additional length? How difficult would it be to match the curve? I think it could be done, but the skill would have to be first rate.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

                    SDC member since 1975

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      That's an interesting thought. (Fun to play with our imaginations and Mike's money.) We have in our SDC world several modified trucks using multiple cabs, and have seen the few examples of Studebaker's version of "crew" cabs. However, given the roundness of the trucks overall "cockpit/capsule"...and how important it's dimensional accuracy (remember the wooden gauge buck at the museum?)...Just where would you cut to add the additional length? How difficult would it be to match the curve? I think it could be done, but the skill would have to be first rate.
                      Here's what a local Drag Racer built to tow his race trailer.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0592.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1684626

                      He has the Dodge Crew Cab and an International Extended Cab. I only have a shot of this one.

                      Bob
                      , ,

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        If it where me I would cut the back panel right at the edge of the door and then across the floor and go a couple inches into the roof top just past the curve. Move the back panel back to where you want it and use some steel braces to hold everything in place. Then add to the floor and use a old door outer panel section for my cab corner so it has the right shape to it. The hard part would be the section to add to the roof. But very doable.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Any one ever see a Studebaker pickup extended ? I saw a cad drawing of one. NOT my cup of tea. I like what I have the way it is. I am sure Allen would entertain doing anything any one would like done to their pickup if you would like something as has been discussed.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by mike super View Post
                            Any one ever see a Studebaker pickup extended ? I saw a cad drawing of one. NOT my cup of tea. I like what I have the way it is. I am sure Allen would entertain doing anything any one would like done to their pickup if you would like something as has been discussed.
                            That's my concern, Mike. These little C-Cabs are about as neat as they come. Too much playing around with the dimensions is one of those risk vs reward things. Some of the examples shown, show what I would call a "Utility-Rod," but, nothing that would ignite the excitement of a sleek C-Cab adorning that Vette chassis and power.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

                            SDC member since 1975

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              That's my concern, Mike. These little C-Cabs are about as neat as they come. Too much playing around with the dimensions is one of those risk vs reward things. Some of the examples shown, show what I would call a "Utility-Rod," but, nothing that would ignite the excitement of a sleek C-Cab adorning that Vette chassis and power.
                              I second that emotion !! EVERYWHERE I go people are taken by the truck. They honk their horn....they hang out the window waving both arms, and that's the driver trying to get my attention .....and as they pass there is a big smile and a double thumbs up. Their actions are far more suspect than texting. I get more attention in this than in anything I own ....it resonates with young and old as well as both women and men. Wish I had the kahunas to keep it just the way it is and slap the transaxle underneath for good measure.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Wouldn't it be easier to cut the cab just above the rear section of the door and get another set of doors to widen them another 4 inches. If you don't add too much you might get away with not spoiling the asthetics of the cab.

                                Driving a C cab truck on a regular basis, I can attest to how nice it would be to have another 4 inches of room in the cab. It's a beautiful truck but very tight, especially when you convert to modern seats.

                                It would be nice to see someone else do it. It will never get done to my truck - I'm through with major mods to mine.
                                Jon Stalnaker
                                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X