63 and 64 hawk grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 and 64 hawk grill

what is the difference in the 63 and 64 hawk grille shell, is there suppost to be a round circle where the s shaped emblem is on the 64 ? or are they both the same
    hunter stanley

Different. 1963 has the Hawk embossed into the grill whereas as the 1964 grill does not with 2 holes where the 1963 Hawk was for the Studebaker S emblem.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

thanks that's what I was thinking, but what is the round circle around the two emblem holes a manufacturing mark
      hunter stanley

Comment

No those were some kind of screw-up on overstock quantity of '63's made or possibly the delivery date of Newly designed '64's was not met, or some other fluke.

So as well as perfect ones, there ARE actually SOME original NOS Grille Mouldings out there with the filled in Circle where you can see a fine line circle with Two fastener holes which would only be PARTIALLY under the rectangular Base of the "S" Hood Ornament.

These are actually Modified '63's sold as '64's.

You probably are looking at this outrageously priced NOS one on eBay right now.

Filled '64 Grille Mldg.jpg

I have seen SOoo many of those on Cars and in eBay Ads New in the box, that I know they are not aftermarket repairs.

The 1360625 Grille Mesh that goes into the Moulding is actually supposed to be different on a '64, but that '63 advertised as a '64 would be easy to fix, they just Flat Blacked out some of the Horizontal Bars to make the Car look wider and different.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-08-2013, 07:28 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There is no round manufacturing mark around the two holes. It should be flat with only two holes for the emblem. I think you are looking at a very expensive grill that is on Ebay with what appears to be a 1 1/2" circle. This is not what you want if you are looking for a 1964 grill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1963-196...b0b30c&vxp=mtr

Allen
          Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM.
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

My original grille shell that came with my '64 Hawk had the two emblem holes at the top. The boxed NOS shell I purchased in the seventies #1360623 has the two holes but the edge of the circle there also filled in. I figure thats how the Spare Parts serviced them for the after market demand. In other words, I have two varieties of the '64 shell.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

An interesting fact that I did not know Jim Q, is that Export '64 GT's did NOT have a Hood Ornament!
              That's weird, they must have used '63 Grille Shells?
              You would not want to see those empty holes, that's for sure.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                My original grille shell that came with my '64 Hawk had the two emblem holes at the top. The boxed NOS shell I purchased in the seventies #1360623 has the two holes but the edge of the circle there also filled in. I figure thats how the Spare Parts serviced them for the after market demand. In other words, I have two varieties of the '64 shell.
                Page 136 in the 1959/64 Chassis Parts Catalog: Group 0502-11: 1360623 = 1964 / 1353535W = 1963 / 1343503W = 1962.
                Last edited by WinM1895; 12-03-2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  An interesting fact that I did not know Jim Q, is that Export '64 GT's did NOT have a Hood Ornament!
                  That's weird, they must have used '63 Grille Shells?
                  You would not want to see those empty holes, that's for sure.
                  Rich,
                  We brought in 5 new RHC '64 Hawks to Melbourne that were all assembled at South Bend in the final 4 days & all with the S emblem mounted. Both grille shells are '64 style. Thanks for your comment.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

So Jim, you Dare to disagree with the BIBLE?
                    The Chassis Parts Catalog may not have covered Exports to ALL Countries, I guess.
                    StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      So Jim, you Dare to disagree with the BIBLE?
                      The Chassis Parts Catalog may not have covered Exports to ALL Countries, I guess.
                      Glad to hear that guys are actually reading the parts book!

But......in the case of "Export" model Hawks, and probably Lark type models, the Chassis parts catalog is referring to some European and middle eastern countries that objected to the use of a fixed stand-up hood ornament. Australia wasn't concerned with this safety issue until years later. So the new cars Jim saw come off the boat in 1964 were entirely correct for that particular export market.

If you bought a 1964 Hawk new in some countries, you got a 1963 style grille shell......AND.....flush mounted plastic spears above the headlamps! Those same countries also required a spring-loaded hood ornament to be fitted to 1964-66 Lark types.

I believe the 1964 grille shells with the visible 'filled in' circle (as currently on ebay) were replacement shells supplied by SASCO. They look fine when installed.

And one final comment......there is more to a 1964 grille mesh than just putting black paint on a 1963 mesh. If you look closely, the vertical bars are stamped with a slight recess to allow for a more effective 'blacking out' of the vertical bars. It was quit a clever way of making the car look different.

Chris.

Comment

I have couple of both kinds, not nos but good ones.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

As Rich said I believe. I currently have a made for 64 model year grille on my 63 Hawk. It is factory modified with the filled in center displaying the outline of a circle with the circle S 64 Also the center mesh badge. Suits me as the shell is an improvement over the previous one. cheers jimmijim
                          Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                          There is no round manufacturing mark around the two holes. It should be flat with only two holes for the emblem. I think you are looking at a very expensive grill that is on Ebay with what appears to be a 1 1/2" circle. This is not what you want if you are looking for a 1964 grill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1963-196...b0b30c&vxp=mtr

Allen
                          Last edited by jimmijim8; 11-09-2013, 07:05 AM.
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;

You probably are looking at this outrageously priced NOS one on eBay right now.

That price sounds like a lot of $ to me too.....but what would it cost to get a rough one nicely replated these days?

Comment

The '64 grille is not only flat black on some of the horizontal mesh. The same mesh is also slightly recessed.

Comment

Working...
                              X