Spray Adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray Adhesive

I got my new hood insulation from SI this week and went shopping for spray adhesive. I notice all of them give directions for a permanent bond and a temporary bond. One you spray on just one surface, the other both. Does the temporary just mean you can reposition it once its in place? Do I need to spray both surfaces? Thanks.

If you want to glue something securely to the underside of a horizontal surface, you need to use a strong adhesive designed for such a job, like 3M 8090, spray both sides exactly IAW the directions, and get someone to help you to align it correctly the first time. No second chances on stuff that is glued to the underside.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

A really easy job IF You take the time to remove the hood from the car and invert it on saw horses!

Comment

Hold it in place/or measure for positionimg and then mark the perimeter with marker or masking tape. Glue spray 1/2 the hood underside and insulation. Fit accordingly using the unglued portion to direct glued portion in place. Get a helper for just a couple minutes. Then do the other half. Not to struggle with hood removal. cheers jimmijim
        Last edited by jimmijim8; 11-09-2013, 05:35 AM.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          Hold it in place/or measure for positionimg and then mark the perimeter with marker or masking tape. Glue spray 1/2 the hood underside and insulation. Fit accordingly using the unglued portion to direct glued portion in place. Get a helper for just a couple minutes. Then do the other half. Not to struggle with hood removal. cheers jimmijim
          Sometimes the LONG way can be the SHORT way Jim!!!!!

Comment

I took the hood off so I could paint the underside first. I have used Permatex products with great results, so I called the technical section there and told them what I was doing as far as the insulation. He said to use their black silicone adhesive and use a dot matrix pattern on one of the surfaces for the install. Pretty simple and looks great. Will post some pics of the hood and newly cleaned up engine compartment once I get the hood back on. I am pretty much a purist, but since I'm not looking for a 100 pt. car, I painted the underside flat black. Just didn't like that original "sorta painted" look. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
            X