X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• showbizkid
    replied
    I can only see this thread going south from here. I'm locking it before it does so. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied

If that was my engine, call me out if you like. I sold you the engine on a deal here on the forum for one of your dream projects, you resold it on ebay for a tidy profit five years later. I would have loved the chance to have bought it back from you since it was well under market. As seen in this thread, it was not advertized as a pro built 7K example, nor priced like one and to this day think U got a fair deal at the price U paid.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ngine-for-sale

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Bob...you're a gentleman and a scholar...and there are damn few of us left!
    Just you and me, Bruce. And I'm not so sure about you.

Kidding!!

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    Nothing like buying a 30,000, 289, complete with transmission, driving around 900 miles each way to get it, take it home and attempt to turn the engine and find out that the cylinders have more rust in them than my Lark does. Sometimes it is "buyer beware".

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    Bob...you're a gentleman and a scholar...and there are damn few of us left!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    ......funny thing is......if you've been around the Studebaker world long enough these guys cycle through a few years later with a new lease......

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    Sorry to hear that Bob, I KNOW what it is like to be burned here in the Studebaker world. On the other hand I also know what it is like to be treated fairly when buying an expensive part. I purchased a "re-built" powershift transmission at looked like it had been road hard,it was clean but unpainted, like you would expect a re-built to be.

Once bitten twice shy,...so after my fiasco with my "Not So Museum Quality" R2 Engine also built by a so-called reputable Studebaker individual who is now out of the Studebaker world but rears his head once and a while, I had my newly purchased powershift taken apart and looked at by a local transmission re-builder only to find a perfectly re-built quality transmission.

Win some lose some.

Allen.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    The guy who owns this engine is a good friend of mine. It was "built" by an individual, not a shop.

When he decided he wanted to build this car, I told him to buy a complete core engine and have it built by someone capable. Instead he bought this one, assuming it would be good to go, as he got burned on his last Studebaker V8 rebuild. Good thing he decided to open this one up and double check things.

Bob Andrews, the engine owner has had nothing but good to say about you, regarding how you sent him some cash to fix this engine's problems. A lot to be said for that, considering you didn't build or warranty the thing.
    Last edited by mbstude; 11-08-2013, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimC
    replied
    To give a fair shot to whomever "rebuilt" it the first time, it's possible they paid someone to do the work for them, and they themselves got taken without knowing it. Or it could be a hundred other scenarios, each of which involves no malicious intent. Without that person around, there's no telling what happened.

At the same time, I agree that any time you don't physically see a part, there's no assurance that the part is good. If you get a bargain on something like an engine, you should at the very least pop off the oil pan and anything easy to remove to have a look inside.
    Last edited by JimC; 11-09-2013, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    That's sad to hear, Bob. It stings bad enough when you buy something like that from a shop you don't often deal with. When you do so from someone with a history of good work that you have enjoyed a good business relationship with, it stings far more. It's more than a business trust betrayed...it's a personal betrayal on top of that.

I agree with your not disclosing the name...since he's left the Studebaker world (I think I know who it is)...it serves no purpose after this amount of time. If it was someone still doing work within the Studebaker fraternity, he should be called out publicly...after he was given a fair chance to make good on his work and his word. If he made good on his work...he should be commended...if not...he should be shown to be a scoundrel.

Good work should be publicized...so should bad work to the legal extent it can be without being libelous.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    The one thing that was done meticulously on my project (apart from body and paint) was the engine rebuild. It went to the local engine shop and my guy was the retired former foreman of that shop. When it came back, he totally disassembled it again and corrected every mistake he found, and there were quite a few. I met him again when the car was on the road to thank him. He's a treasure.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Sounds as what I've said a few times on this and other boards....a "good machine shop".....doesn't....need to know Studebakers or their parts, they just need to know proper machine shop practices, math, experience and a desire to do a good job of what they do. The "Studebaker" items will come naturally. I've seen it first hand.

Sorry to hear of your problems Bob.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Originally posted by JDP View Post
    I know I sold Bob a R2 for well under market about five years ago for his "dream" project, but it had a turned crank. with new rings rods and mains. If it now has a scoured crank, I can assure you it did not when I put it together. If it was that engine, I would have loved to have had first bids to buy it back since my selling price was the value of the blower setup and still would be happy to.
    If we are talking about a different engine "never mind"
    I doubt it was you since Bob flat stated the vendor in question 'left the Studebaker world'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X