The First Love Project can begin 1959 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Love Project can begin 1959 Silver Hawk

My daughter and I drove to Fresno today to pick up my latest Studebaker. It is a 1959 Silver Hawk with a 1957 Golden Hawk front clip and louvered hood. This will serve as the foundation for the re-creation of my first car. I plan to take an inventory and then devise a plan to get it on the road as soon as possible. I will be using this project as the therapy as I go through round 6 of my cancer battle. I start chemo on Wednesday. My wife is so glad that I have something to work on so I can keep myself occupied and also help with the rehab. We will build it together and I promise to post pictures and story here as I get started on it Here is a picture of me and my new toy:

Here is a picture of me and Tim who is the guy who sold it to me.

Here is what you see when you arrive at his place.

[URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/dieselguy2006/media/The%20First%20Love%201959%20Silver%20Hawk/DSCF6185_zps5160657e.jpg.html][/RL]
    More as things develop.
    Dan

The fins look like 57 also?
    Are you sure the whole care is not a 57 Silver hawk?????
    Whichever! Enjoy your new project!!
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

That '51 Business Coupe isn't a Commander, is it?

If so, it is the only one built and needs to be "got" ASAP!

Are you sure the new Hawk is a '59? The rear fender fin arrangement looks like 1957/1958.
      (Best wishes on the chemo, too; no fun but it looks like you've got a good diversion, there. ) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Are you sure the new Hawk is a '59? The rear fender fin arrangement looks like 1957/1958.
        (Best wishes on the chemo, too; no fun but it looks like you've got a good diversion, there. ) BP
        BP...Hope springs eternal...but, I doubt a Commander would have that little "Plucked Chicken Butt" looking custom-trim trunk ornament.

Dan...Prayers for you and your continued battle. Good for you and your wife to plunge into this project. You are an inspiration.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well Dan, this should be a good project for you. But, please don't leave the patina on this one. This car deserves a nice paint job.
          I hope to be down there in my Champ in June to visit you and Kathy. I'll be anxious to see how far along you have gotten. Can I expect a ride in it?
          Have fun and stay safe.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Great to see another project getting started, we are a busy bunch! Best wishes with your Silver Hawk and with your treatments. I'll look forward to your progress updates.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Love those Silver Hawks - my wife and I both think they're cooler than the hardtops!

Best of luck with your Silver Hawk and your chemo!

Comment

Thank You everyone for your kind words and thoughts and prayers. While I am not looking forward to doing treatment again I know I can get through this. I will keep you posted.

Ed,
                You can bet I will give you a ride. In fact you can drive it. It will have a full paint job. First it will be dark grey primer to match how my Hawk looked when it got crashed. The it will be painted True Blue with white pearl and the accents will be Silver with Chameleon medium Metal flake. Total 1970's paint job. I plan to do almost all of the work myself.
                Dan

Comment

Ok I got the Hawk off the trailer and it is a 1958. Body tag reads 58H C3 2683 The serial number is 72I5449
                  So anyone able to tell me how this breaks down?
                  Dan

Comment

So I have got the Hawk taken apart far enough to give it a full evaluation and it looks good. Will need some patch panels on the passenger side floor in front, three small ones so not bad. I got the dash out and will swap it out for the spare on as it has been cut in the past. Installing a pair of swing pedals will be easy and I will use my new favorite Mustang HIPO replacement cable clutch set up. Will convert the parking brake set up to a pedal mounted on the drivers kick panel. Going to put it back together stock in the back and custom up front for now. Might change the back later if things work out medically.Getting it on the road quickly is the first order of business. So a full press thrash is in order and I am feeling up to the challenge. Like with the wood work on the camper I will see how much I can get done between naps. Here's some pictures taken before today's tear down of the interior. Pictures from today soon.

I am feeling very good about this car and know it will turn out great.
                    Dan

Comment

Dan, your car is a 1958 Silver Hawk Coupe originally supplied with a 289 engine (58H-C3).

The 2683 is likely to mean it is the 2683rd such body built. Studebaker used the bodies to hand and didn't make the cars with sequential body numbers.

There were 4485 of these assembled.

The "H" designates President trim level, 58 G is Champion and 58 B is Commander

The serial numbers (US series 58H ( all body types)) began with 72I0001 ending with 72I9454 so it appears your car was the 5449th of the 58H series assembled.
                      Last edited by avantilover; 11-09-2013, 10:40 PM.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

) BP
                        Bob
                        I thought Champions were all sixes & Commanders were V8's
                        And I have seen another 51 V8 Commander!
                        Good Roads
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Dan Good luck with your treatment and your Sliver Hawk. Be sure to post a lot of pictures. My wife has been going though a fight with breast cancer this year so I know what you have ahead of you. Hopefully I can get back on my 64 hawk restore that got put on hold while I was caring for her. Steve

Comment

Dan, looks like you have a great solid start on the Hawk project. Best wishes on your treatments too! Please keep us updated.
                            Jim
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Avantilover,
                              Thank you for the info. Now I know what I have and how to proceed. I didn't want to modify something if it was rare or valuable.

Steve and Jim,
                              Thank you for the kind words and yes I will post lots of pictures and keep everyone posted. My first week of treatments was rough but it is supposed to get easier as time goes on. The first dose was a double dose (loading dose) so it kicked my butt.Three days of yuck but all is good now.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X