Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confirm/refute a Stude legend - 1956 President 2-dr only for employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm/refute a Stude legend - 1956 President 2-dr only for employees?

A good friend is restoring her father's 1956 President 2-door sedan. Naturally, it's a fairly rare car. However, during the restoration it came up that her father was a Studebaker dealership employee and that the 2-doors were special order and only for employees.

Doesn't sound credible to me, as why would Studebaker have had such a policy?

Anyone have a production total for the 1956 President 2-door?

jack vines
    PackardV8

It's just not true. What would be the sense of such a rule? While trim that's peculiar to an F6 is very limited - those few pieces and 30 cubic inches more engine is about all you got for a President vs a Commander 2dr.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It was in the 1956 dealer catalog that year, so that would not be at all true. The only vehicle I ever heard of that was limited to either employees or dealers were a handful of Nash tow trucks from 1948. Of course some Studebaker employees DID get a car 'their way'. R.A. Hutchinson got a 1958 GH '400' made for him. (September 2007 TW, pg 30)

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

My parents had a '56 Pres. 2dr. Traded in a '55 Champion Regal coupe. Palma's parents owned a '57 2dr.

Comment

In 1956 my VO AG teacher bought one. The best I can remember it was green and white. I have a 2 door Commander parts car I would like to restore it but just too old.

Comment

Utter nonsense and a total fabrication, Jack.

Here is the 1956 President 2-door that was on the showroom floor of Palma-Rhoads Motors on the day the 1956 Studebakers were introduced. I was nine years old at the time and well-remember this car due to the rare 2-way power seat option which I used to run the battery down on the showroom floor playing around:

Note that it is Body #51, which means they had already made about 50 1956 President 2-doors before the cars were even introduced. As you see by the invoice, it was identical to the brochure car, this exact color combination:

Studebaker built 1,914 1956 President 2-doors; Model 56H-F6. In addition to the above one, Dwain Grindinger's parents had one.

But you can tell the lady with the tall tale: Since Studebaker probably still had about 2,000 employees at the time, perhaps 1,912 of them each bought a new 1956 President 2-door, confirming her imagination's concoction.

That would leave two left over they didn't buy, the one above that went to Palma-Rhoads Motors in Paris IL...and the one that went to Dwain Grindinger's parents. There, that explains it.

Ridiculous. BP

P.S:
            Don't ride her too hard, though; those are rare cars and I am happy to hear of one being restored. What color combo is it?
            Last edited by BobPalma; 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM. Reason: added P.S.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Serial # 7172699 was one LOADED Stude!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Serial # 7172699 was one LOADED Stude!
                That it was, Ed. Had they thrown on air conditioning and power windows, it would have pretty much had it all.

Remember, it was ordered for new-car introduction day; a Great BIG Deal in the 1950s. The showroom was best suited for one car, but they could get two in it.

On intro day, that President was on the south side of the showroom and some garden-variety 1956 Nash Statesman 4-door was on the north side. That's all I can tell you about the Nash; I can't even remember what color it was, I was so disinterested in it...and thought the President was so cool!

Note the salesman's initials; LSP. That is my father, still doing well and living independently at age 96! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

With 3 sp/OD, 4 brl, dual exhaust, and twin traction (when it arrived next model year...) a lot of other cars would only see the back end of it...

Comment

"I was nine years old at the time and well-remember this car due to the rare 2-way power seat option which I used to run the battery down on the showroom floor playing around:"

Damn Kids, maybe THAT'S where Bob got his battery hold down "fetish" LOL

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

I have a friend in Hotchkiss, Co. that had a nice one with a continental kit.
                      Klif
                      55 Speedster/Street Machine
                      63 Avanti R2
                      64 Convertible R1

Comment

For 1964, eight years later, my father and I each bought new Fury hardtops, well equipped, that were in the same price range as that President. I can see why they only built 1914 of them. Nothing against the car, it is a great one. I think that the biggest market, at that time, for a car like the President was for a four door sedan version, like my 1957 President Classic (and 1957 President).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Those 1956 cars are under rated . The President Classic four door

if optioned right and with the right colour , really is a classy ride .

As for '56 President two doors , they are pretty rare nowadays and

more than deserving of a full restoration . When it comes to low

number fifties cars , wouldn't that be the one only '51 Commander

Business Coupe . ? That is along with the one '58 Golden Hawk

400 already mentioned in Post # 3 . How many other low numbers

built cars were there that Studebaker built in the Fifties . ?

CRUISER

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                            Those 1956 cars are under rated . The President Classic four door

As for '56 President two doors , they are pretty rare nowadays and

more than deserving of a full restoration . When it comes to low

number fifties cars , wouldn't that be the one only '51 Commander

Business Coupe . ? That is along with the one '58 Golden Hawk

400 already mentioned in Post # 3 . How many other low numbers

built cars were there that Studebaker built in the Fifties . ?

CRUISER
                            Many of those rare cars were mentioned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ebaker-Stories

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                              The President Classic four door
                              Yep, and the '56 gave up a lot of its classy features in 1957, including the built-in armrests to make the new Packards look classier.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X