63 Wagonaire Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Wagonaire Update

I have been focusing on the Wagonaire. I want to finish it soon. I've had it "under construction" for almost 2 years now. Longer than any other project I've owned. I did take a year off for a consulting assignment, but it is still too long.

The exterior is done except for the painting of the gas cap and the grilled air intake under the windshield. Somehow, those two items were missed when the rest of the car was done. I have the stance now where I want it. Not so much nose high like a stock Lark...

The wiring is all done. I used a '64 front harness. The only change needed was to move the ignition switch wires to the other side of the steering column. I also had to custom make the front harness/relay/circuit breaker for the electric rear window. Dwain G. walked me through how to do this. Everything works properly.

Everything is done under the hood other than filling the PS system. Heater is all hooked up and working. I'm now running a Quadrajet. I like them! Great throttle response. I converted a swap meet one to electric choke.

The interior is done except for the headliner and the seats. Alan Barth has the seats and they should be done shortly. He made the windlace for me and it is installed along with the rest of the trim.

Gary Ash sent me a diagram of the front section of the headliner which is the only complicated piece out of the 7 that make up the headliner. Malcolm Barry talked me through how he did his headliner in his 63 and sent me a ton of pictures. I'm going to try to tackle it this week.

I've removed the sliding roof panel and installed the new seals. I reinstalled it and adjusted it until I'm blue in the face, but I'm not extremely happy with it. It seals fine except for the cross section (side to side). That won't leak unless water was squirted under pressure directly at the seal which is under the fixed roof overhang, but it just isn't how it should be (IMHO). Perhaps I'm fussier than the Stude engineers were?

Anyway, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

EDIT: Oh yea. All new door and window seals, window runs, and cat whiskers. Regulators lubed and adjusted. After taking the the 3rd door completely apart and reassembling it, I got pretty good at it.
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 11-03-2013, 06:35 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

That is NICE!!!!

Craig

Comment

Cool beans, Dick. Nice battery hold-down.

Does the cowl tag have a streamer on it, going off toward the center of the car from the tag screw located near the center of the car? If so, what does the streamer say? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Cool beans, Dick. Nice battery hold-down.

Does the cowl tag have a streamer on it, going off toward the center of the car from the tag screw located near the center of the car? If so, what does the streamer say? BP
        The streamer says "XX". It was talked about in a thread a while back...

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p?t-60247.html

Nothing special on the production order. The only thing I can think of is that it was a "sold-rush" car and maybe the "XX" referred to that?
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, that is so sweet in every way. one thing you need though is a new tag on the alt.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well, "never say never" about anything, but if the XX was indeed for a sold-rush car, it would be the first time I'd ever seen one, having looked at the original POs for thousands of cars while doing research through the years.

OTOH, I do not have any better guesses, and that is the first time I have ever seen one of those (except within the earlier thread, that is), so I'll try to remember to pursue it with Andy Beckman next time I am at The Studebaker National Museum. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              I'll try to remember to pursue it with Andy Beckman next time I am at The Studebaker National Museum.
              That would be great. Let us know if Andy has a translation for the XX

BTW, the XX is NOT on the PO...just on the streamer.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I am so glad you agreed to take this project on. I had great hopes for this car and you've exceeded them by a mile! Who knows, you may wind up with the only Wagonaire that is water tight!
                The car is beautiful in every way. Kudos! I only wish I could afford to buy it back

Comment

While you're at it, Bob - ask about the simple "G" streamer I found on a 61 Lark 4-dr years ago.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dave Thibeault has the Prestolite tags, and the twist nail retainer rivets.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      Dave Thibeault has the Prestolite tags, and the twist nail retainer rivets.
                      Thanks Joe and Brad for the tip. It does look naked without the tag.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick
                        You participated in a thread a long time ago about you roof leaks on your 1964 wagonaire.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                          Dick
                          You participated in a thread a long time ago about you roof leaks on your 1964 wagonaire.
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p?t-59585.html
                          Yes...Thanks for the link.

I did get and install the new type seals from SI and Paul Johnson supplied the service letters on how to install them and adjust the sliding panel. I did all that. I also replaced the 4 drain tubes. I just don't have a high confidence level that it will be leak free under all conditions. Maybe I'm just a nervous Nelly.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

sals54

Comment

wow, nice work! see, two years goes by so fast when you`re having so much fun...I can`t believe it`s been that long, seems like 8 or 9 mos. How did you fit a Q-jet to the stock manifold with such large secondaries?
                              Cheers, Junior
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X