Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hole in Block

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hole in Block

    I just returned from the Music City Studebaker show. . . it was fun and great and met some new friends. . . I returned late at night on Saturday and parked the car till today and took it to be serviced. I had a couple of loose wires that I was schooled on where they went.

    When I pulled into the shop and stopped the motor lifted the hood. . noticed coolant on the ground. . never before. . . so we lifted the car, and discovered a small hole the size of a pencil where coolant was escaping from the lower part of the motor in the block. . .

    Here is the temporary idea and plan. . we start tomorrow. . . self tapping screw with a rubber washer. . . does this even have a chance. . .

    Advice please,. . if you know me I drive my car everywhere. . . it ain't the best. . but it is the best Studebaker I own. . . it's the only one. . thank you
    REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

    THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

    Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
    The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
    www.thechristiancenter.us
    https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

  • #2
    Originally posted by erniebrown View Post
    self tapping screw with a rubber washer. . . does this even have a chance. . .
    Sorry- no, not a chance.

    First, you have to determine exactly why it's leaking. If it's a core plug, replace. If it's a hole in the cast iron, it can be welded with nickel rod. More info, and a picture would help.
    Proud NON-CASO

    I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

    If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

    GOD BLESS AMERICA

    Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

    Illegitimi non carborundum

    Comment


    • #3
      I had that feeling. . . I have a friend who is a welder. . will check on the nickel rod. . . no mechanic here. . . but I read a lot and nothing said it would work. . so my official word. . . is STOP!
      REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

      THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

      Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
      The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
      www.thechristiancenter.us
      https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

      Comment


      • #4
        I had a leak in a cast iron radiator at my vintage building. I drilled it tapped it and installed a pipe thread plug....then next summer I replaced the radiator. You might do something similar to get home then do something more permanent. I think If you can get decent thread a pipe plug should last a while though.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks. . . I am just trying to get as much info so I can process through this. . . first major challenge except for the almost total destruction of the car in a tornado. . . this will be done and we will getter dun fer sure!
          REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

          THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

          Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
          The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
          www.thechristiancenter.us
          https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

          Comment


          • #6
            Don't be too discouraged. Depending on just where the hole is...the situation might not be as dire as it sounds. Using nickel to weld and patch holes in cast iron engine blocks is a technique that has been around for years. Early in the development of water-cooled tractor engines and unreliable anti-freeze...cracks due to frozen engine blocks was fairly common. After a hard winter, it wasn't unusual for welders to be pretty busy patching tractor engines in time for spring plowing.

            Hopefully, you can find a experienced welder that can fix you up. I have a welder. I have observed cast iron being welded with nickel, but have not tried it myself. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

            SDC member since 1975

            Comment


            • #7
              Cast iron can be brazed with success also.
              1962 Champ

              51 Commander 4 door

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Ernie,
                First, I'd be curious as to how the hole came to exist. Maybe from the tornado, who knows. At any rate, it can likely be welded, hopefully while in the car. Again hopefully, it does not have cracks radiating from it. How it will need to be repaired will depend largely on location, cracks/no cracks, and accessibility.
                That car is tooo pretty to not fix, and I am sure you will. This is a piece of cake, compared to what you musta went through in getting her back in shape after the tornado
                Last edited by JoeHall; 10-15-2013, 06:12 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Way back in the day my dad brazed over a crack in a tractor engine block. Cleaned/prepped the cracked area down with a carbide burr and put the heat and brass rod to the block. It worked. cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Don't be too discouraged. Depending on just where the hole is...the situation might not be as dire as it sounds. Using nickel to weld and patch holes in cast iron engine blocks is a technique that has been around for years. Early in the development of water-cooled tractor engines and unreliable anti-freeze...cracks due to frozen engine blocks was fairly common. After a hard winter, it wasn't unusual for welders to be pretty busy patching tractor engines in time for spring plowing.

                    Hopefully, you can find a experienced welder that can fix you up. I have a welder. I have observed cast iron being welded with nickel, but have not tried it myself. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.
                    Thanks John. . . it appears that the weld is the PERFECT WAY. . . I typically don't get to discouraged, this one is over my pay scale. . . so will have to be farmed out. . thank you again.
                    REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

                    THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

                    Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
                    The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
                    www.thechristiancenter.us
                    https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      Hi Ernie,
                      First, I'd be curious as to how the hole came to exist. Maybe from the tornado, who knows. At any rate, it can likely be welded, hopefully while in the car. Again hopefully, it does not have cracks radiating from it. How it will need to be repaired will depend largely on location, cracks/no cracks, and accessibility.
                      That car is tooo pretty to not fix, and I am sure you will. This is a piece of cake, compared to what you musta went through in getting her back in shape after the tornado
                      JoeHall, I hit a trucker tire coming home. . just didn't see it. . left late from the dinner. . .wondered if that was the culprit. . it absolutely looks like it was a hole that just rusted from the inside out. . funny. . . it was leaking a bit at first. . we lifted up and was rubbing around and a small fleck of something came off the block. . . and she began to pour out. . nice bright clean coolant. . there doesn't seem to be other cracks. . and I will post as I go along.
                      REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

                      THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

                      Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
                      The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
                      www.thechristiancenter.us
                      https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                        Way back in the day my dad brazed over a crack in a tractor engine block. Cleaned/prepped the cracked area down with a carbide burr and put the heat and brass rod to the block. It worked. cheers jimmijim
                        Jimmijim. . . I am guessing at this point. . but that looks like where we are going. . . thanks for the email!
                        REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

                        THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

                        Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
                        The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
                        www.thechristiancenter.us
                        https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          AS Bob said, FIRST, identify the problem. A picture here would help a lot.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For a couple of years, the Cummins 5.9 had a problem with cracked blocks. Here is a fix. Probably non-CASO.

                            http://www.locknstitch.com/cummins_d...nforcement.htm
                            78 Avanti RQB 2792
                            64 Avanti R1 R5408
                            63 Avanti R1 R4551
                            63 Avanti R1 R2281
                            62 GT Hawk V15949
                            56 GH 6032504
                            56 GH 6032588
                            55 Speedster 7160047
                            55 Speedster 7165279

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Still waiting for a better description and picture. We want to help, but we can't guess with no real information. Where exactly is the hole? Is it a metal core plug? Is it a hole in the cast iron? You still haven't clarified that.

                              I can't think of anything externally that could hit hard enough to make a pencil sized hole without breaking out a piece. And I don't think anything could rub hard enough and long enough to wear a hole through cast iron. If it's a hole from the inside out, you are probably at the beginning of several of these occurrences.

                              It's definitely leaning towards a core plug on what little description you've given. But again, we can't know or help until you give us something to go on.
                              Proud NON-CASO

                              I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

                              If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

                              GOD BLESS AMERICA

                              Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

                              Illegitimi non carborundum

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X