Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What font is the Studebaker script on my '54 grill bars and roof / beltline paint separators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What font is the Studebaker script on my '54 grill bars and roof / beltline paint separators?

Title say's it all. I would like to make some vinyl decals with the same font.
    Corley

I'm pretty certain the name for that font is '53-'54 Studebaker grill and beltline script. The only way to create a match would be to take a tracing.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Most Corporations when they trademark their logos/script show the dimensions, et cetra in the paperwork. If you feel the need to know those references, they should be public record. I don't know how far back that practice goes but I saw those for my employers trademark back in the 60's IIRC.

Could give something to do on a cold winters day, if they are available on the internet.

Bob

Comment

I would suspect the blueprints are on file at the SNM archives.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks much, was hoping it was something common, simple, easy to replicate. I'll see if I can copy it from the hardware. Perhaps just lay them on the copier...
          Corley

Comment

Remember, 1954 was a loooooong time before easily available electronic typefaces. Most companies had draftsmen or designers on staff or retainer who were responsible for hand-designing company logos, scripts, etc., which were translated from paper drawings to 3-dimensional masters by skilled metal craftsmen. So, really, the blueprints would be the only way to obtain patterns for an exact replica.

Now, if you have access to a scanner, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, you could probably translate a good original casting into vector artwork.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I think Corley is looking for the NAME of the FONT, like Times New Roman, Lucida Console, or Cooper Black.

I know there is a Studebaker font - very Art Deco.
              But that's not what you're after.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that there is no name for that font, since it wasn't really a font - it was a designed script.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Corley- I'd contact Jeff (DEEPNHOCK) about this. Seems to me he made something along the lines you are talking about for his black car. I'm fairly certain he did something for the grille bars, anyway.

Say- wouldn't his get more exposure if someone moved to the 'General' Forum?

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

We REALLY miss Bondo Billy !
                    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC

Comment

One method I like to use is to take a photograph of the hardware and use a photo editing software program such as PhotoShop to create a rendering that suits you. Then just print that onto your decal paper.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Be aware, (nit picking ahead) the second letter of the Commander Grill Script on the Reprodcution scripts is not italicized, as is the original. The O is (not round) square, not a rhombus as in the original.

If you copy/scan one make sure it's original.

Comment

Working...
                        X