Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOW with pictures!! decoder ring? or some help decoding 61 Lark numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NOW with pictures!! decoder ring? or some help decoding 61 Lark numbers

    Ok, so I bought a 61 lark today, the number from under the hood is 61V-y6 396, door plate number 61V-4008, what information can you give me from these? there was also a paper tag in the glove box that reads......4589 xxx V Y6 P 12 BLU 396-4295-1250, 62 A BL2 15296 V4CC8, AUTO 289 ENG PCV PSTRG PBRKS WC FIRESTONE, WW 60-65-66-68-72. I think I get some of the info from that but not all. over all I think this car is in good shape, 57668 miles on it, little rust but nothing major. I'll get some pics after I take a little nap, I work 3rds and need to sleep now. thanks guys, you rock!! pictures click here, I can't seem to get pictures to load directly from my PC to here, what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by guyina4x4; 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM. Reason: add picture link
    Not studes right now

  • #2
    On the metal tags:
    Under the hood is the body tag, "y" is a stretched four door (somebody smarter than me will explain the "6" shortly), and its the 396th such body built in 1961.
    On the door jamb is Studebaker's version of the "vin" telling you that its also the 4008th V-8 car (including all body types)made that year.

    Comment


    • #3
      It looks like you bought the one in Illinois, this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?75724-61-Cruiser-in-Central-IL

      This is a pretty Special Car, this is not just a '61 Lark 4 Door, it's the top of line special, stretched body, and wheelbase Luxury, "Limosette" called the Lark "Cruiser"!

      There are few of these left, and this one looks pretty good from the 2 poor pics we have.

      To get detailed info you would need to purchase the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN.

      A Y "6" is the top trim level and the ONLY one used on the "Y" Body Cruiser.

      I have never heard of a Tag like you describe, it sounds like some kind of condensed Line Copy of the Production Order, or a Part of the actual Line Copy of the Production Order.

      I would check the Engine Number, to see if it starts with a "P" meaning that it still has the most likely original, Optional 289 Engine.

      I see it appears to have another very rare option on a lark, Full Tinted Glass, it also has the optional Back Up Lights, a very Loaded Car as Studes. go.

      All those scrambled codes seem to be saying a '61 Cruiser (V-Y6), with 289 Engine, Calif. Crankcase Ventilation System (PCV), Automatic Trans. Power Steering, Power Brakes, Blue Interior, with Firestone White Wall Tires.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        ...I think the numbers given are somewhat jumbled and not exactly as they appear on the paper tag . That info denotes color, seat color and material(s), trim items (me thinks interior trim) and some other stuff that speaks to the assembly line workers and probably matches a sheet they were using as your car came down the line....might have more info than that...probably does...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jackb View Post
          ...I think the numbers given are somewhat jumbled and not exactly as they appear on the paper tag . That info denotes color, seat color and material(s), trim items (me thinks interior trim) and some other stuff that speaks to the assembly line workers and probably matches a sheet they were using as your car came down the line....might have more info than that...probably does...
          He is looking at the tag similar to the one on this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=autumn

          It is probably Studebaker's first use of computerization on the production line.

          Craig

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jackb View Post
            ...I think the numbers given are somewhat jumbled and not exactly as they appear on the paper tag . That info denotes color, seat color and material(s), trim items (me thinks interior trim) and some other stuff that speaks to the assembly line workers and probably matches a sheet they were using as your car came down the line....might have more info than that...probably does...
            the numbers are exactly as printed on the tag, spaces and all
            Not studes right now

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              He is looking at the tag similar to the one on this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=autumn

              It is probably Studebaker's first use of computerization on the production line.

              Craig
              that is exactly what the tag looks like, though mine was laying loose in the glove box, under about 40 years worth of maps and insurance papers and few receipts.
              Not studes right now

              Comment


              • #8
                Here is an "Ordinary" '61 Lark Regal 4 Door Sedan, note the square cornered rear backlight and rear door windows and Doors.
                Also shorter Rear Doors.

                I my opinion not nearly as good looking as the Traditional Studebaker rounded look, slanted forward rear edge, rear doors and windows that Studebaker Pioneered, the same shape as the beautiful Starliner Hardtop and Starlight Coupes and '56 to '61 Hawks that are used on '53 to '60 Sedans and '61 Cruiser.

                I see a similar design coming back now, on all of the "better looking" Import Sedans like Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, VW Passat, Hyundai Sonata etc.


                Click image for larger version

Name:	Green White Regal 4Dr2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1684113 Click image for larger version

Name:	White Cruiser SB IN 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1684112
                Compare to the Beautifully Designed '61 Cruiser at a SDC International Meet in South Bend Indiana.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  It looks like you bought the one in Illinois, this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-in-Central-IL **I've been driving past this car all summer, twice a day, I talked to PO a couple times, although I never asked him outright, I got the impression it was not for sale. **

                  This is a pretty Special Car, this is not just a '61 Lark 4 Door, it's the top of line special, stretched body, and wheelbase Luxury, "Limosette" called the Lark
                  "Cruiser"! **My kid said it must have been a luxury car when it was new, he loves the car and can't wait to drive it, when the brakes get looked at **
                  There are few of these left, and this one looks pretty good from the 2 poor pics we have. ***I think it is very good compared to the few other regular larks I've seen***

                  To get detailed info you would need to purchase the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN.
                  ***Oh yes I plan on it.***

                  A Y "6" is the top trim level and the ONLY one used on the "Y" Body Cruiser.

                  I have never heard of a Tag like you describe, it sounds like some kind of condensed Line Copy of the Production Order, or a Part of the actual Line Copy of the Production Order.
                  ***it is like the one 8E45E posted the link to the other thread about***


                  I would check the Engine Number, to see if it starts with a "P" meaning that it still has the most likely original, Optional 289 Engine.
                  ***the engine number is hidden under one of the hoses going to the oil filter, I can make out P75 and there is 3 or 4 more digits but I can't get under the hose enough to make them out.***

                  I see it appears to have another very rare option on a lark, Full Tinted Glass, it also has the optional Back Up Lights, a very Loaded Car as Studes. go.
                  ***I don't know about the tinted glass, looks untinted to me, but has back up lights.***

                  All those scrambled codes seem to be saying a '61 Cruiser (V-Y6), with 289 Engine, Calif. Crankcase Ventilation System (PCV), Automatic Trans. Power Steering, Power Brakes, Blue Interior, with Firestone White Wall Tires. ***I believe the spare is original, very nice looking tire, too bad it's 52 years old***
                  see reply in quoted text
                  Last edited by guyina4x4; 10-11-2013, 12:09 PM.
                  Not studes right now

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The windows all look quite Green in both Pics, but you will have to look at the actual Car, right by the "LOF" or "PPG" Mark it should say "EZEye" or "Solex".
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You should be aware that the five two digit numbers at the end of your glove box form are option/accessory numbers. They can be translated as follows: 60-Climatizer, 65-Full wheel discs, 66-Back up lights, 68-Front bumper guards; 72-Push button radio. That along with the abbreviations that precede them will provide you with a complete list of colors, options and accessories on the Cruiser. I am sure the production order will confirm this. The Cruiser was easily distinguishable from the Lark 4-door sedan in that it had the rear door vent wings as shown below. For what it is worth the base price on the Cruiser was $2458 and the 289 c.i. engine was optional at $49.50.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	61 cruiser forum.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1684114
                      Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM.
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        The windows all look quite Green in both Pics, but you will have to look at the actual Car, right by the "LOF" or "PPG" Mark it should say "EZEye" or "Solex".
                        you are correct sir! EZEye, it says
                        Not studes right now

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                          You should be aware that the five two digit numbers at the end of your glove box form are option/accessory numbers. They can be translated as follows: 60-Climatizer, 65-Full wheel discs, 66-Back up lights, 68-Front bumper guards; 72-Push button radio. That along with the abbreviations that precede them will provide you with a complete list of colors, options and accessories on the Cruiser. I am sure the production order will confirm this. The Cruiser was easily distinguishable from the Lark 4-door sedan in that it had the rear door vent wings as shown below. For what it is worth the base price on the Cruiser was $2458 and the 289 c.i. engine was optional at $49.50.

                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]28445[/ATTACH]
                          thank you, that is some good info, the radio still works very well, it's weird because it comes on a couple minutes after starting the car, has to warm up I guess.
                          Not studes right now

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by guyina4x4 View Post
                            thank you, that is some good info, the radio still works very well, it's weird because it comes on a couple minutes after starting the car, has to warm up I guess.
                            Yes, it has 8 vacuum Tubes to warm up!

                            The Delco/Studebaker Radios were Semi-Transistor in 1962 and Fully Transistor in '63 & On.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Now I found where you put the New Pics mentioned in the New Title, they are Now in Post #1.

                              This looks like a really nice Interior and a Great Car, it has more undercarriage Rust than I am used to seeing in the West, but otherwise Good. It looks like you will be investing in new Fuel and Brake Lines though.

                              That Spare Tire is to Die for, I wish Coker Tire had one to copy because they never get the Whitewall width and Rub Rail correct for '56 to '62 Cars when they get up to our Old 6.40/6.70/710X15 Size.
                              Is that a Firestone Deluxe Champion?
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X