Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I supposed to inspect through the inspection hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I supposed to inspect through the inspection hole?

I had the carpet out of my Hawk to put in heat insulation and on the right side of the transmission hump I found an inspection hole with a cover.

The Body Parts Catalog says "part #2138-9: COVER, floor pan oil inspection hole"

I can see oil on my floor even without opening the cover!

Seriously though , what exactly am I supposed to see through this inspection hole?

Phillip

On certain Hawk models with a Borg Warner A/T, there was a trans fluid cap w/integral dipstick under that cover on the RHS of the trans hump.
    Later Hawks had a dipstick tube that could be reached from under the hood.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The 1961 Models were the first year that you could check and fill the Automatic Trans. from under the hood.

All 1950 to 1960's fill through the floor tunnel.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That explains it - my 59 Hawk has a 64 engine/tranny in it!
        Last edited by pbrown; 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Not that it matters,but I really think the '61 Hawk still had the dip stick under the floor. The under hood trans dip stick was added later-'62 or '63?
          I think the '61 Lark had the under hood dipstick. And,the Hawks never did get the suspended pedals,which Larks got in '61.!
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

My '61 has the trans tunnel patch fill panel....
            Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            The 1961 Models were the first year that you could check and fill the Automatic Trans. from under the hood.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Avantis have a hole cover too, but it's for the rear band adjustment.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

My mother bought a new Riviera Blue '61 Hawk and it had the access hole inside...

Comment

OK, I am to be corrected, I did forget that Hawks did not get the underhood Fill Pipe until 1962, so that explains Studebakeroforegon's experience.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Trans.fill/dipstick

Hi, I have a 61 with setup in floor pass. side. Have with under hood stick.

Comment

That is a quirk that StudeRich noted...
                      A lot of Stude's had the trans pan and fill tube changed through the years to the later tube style to make it easier to check the trans fluid.
                      Why... I remember my very first oil change on my Dad's Hawk, where I drained the engine oil...and the trans oil...
                      There were two drain plugs, that's why)...
                      The engine ran fine, but the Hawk quit moving before he went a block away.
                      The lessons we learn, and the patience we learn that our parents/elders had....after the fact.
                      Jeff

Originally posted by arthurc1946 View Post
                      Hi, I have a 61 with setup in floor pass. side. Have with under hood stick.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X