Weight of Lark versus Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of Lark versus Avanti

Wondering if a Avanti has any weight advantage over a Lark . Reason is I wonder if a super charged 289 would work better in one than the other. I figure someone here will know ! Thanks !
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

No, the Lark is actually a little lighter (2 dr). Plus the center of gravity is higher, and thus weight transfer is better. The Avanti has the heavy X member like convertibles that weighs a couple of hundred pounds. The Lark would win in acceleration. Top speed probably the Avanti due to areodynamics.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you! I doubt I will ever have either, but in my dream world it's nice to know !
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        No, the Lark is actually a little lighter (2 dr). Plus the center of gravity is higher, and thus weight transfer is better. The Avanti has the heavy X member like convertibles that weighs a couple of hundred pounds. The Lark would win in acceleration. Top speed probably the Avanti due to areodynamics.

Does the x-member really weigh a couple of hundred pounds? Years ago I estimated the weight of the I-beam style weldments using stock bar sizes, but I can't remember what the weight was that was generated.
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Some numbers/weights (pounds):
          1963 Lark two door V8s - Standard 2910, Regal 2925, Custom 2940, Daytona hardtop 3035;
          1963 Avanti - 3140.
          Of course, these are base weights exclusive of any options.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The x-frame actually weighs only 75 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
              The x-frame actually weighs only 75 pounds
              Yeah, I was gonna say unloaded one by my self so it couldn't be over 100#.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Serious drag racers strain for every little advantage. The Avanti is carrying 230# more or 8%. The Lark would be a couple tenths quicker ET, but no difference in MPH.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

All I know is the darned thing is more than 1/4" thick top and bottom, and runs most of the length of the center of the car!!!! It takes three people to load one into a pickup.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Pull out the hole saw and do a swiss-cheese job on it. i bet you can slim it down by 40-50 lbs

Comment

Working...
                    X