Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buttercup's engine ID

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buttercup's engine ID

    Here's the number on Buttercup's engine. I was told it's a '58 Packard 289. Haven't substantiated that yet.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk


  • #2
    Dropped the pan on Buttercup this morning, planning to roll some new bearings onto the crankshaft.
    Man, what a mess someone has made in this engine.
    The crankshaft looks like it was run dry a few miles. The PO said he did run it very, very hot once.
    The rod inserts were std. when the were installed, but the crank looks like it may have been welded up, theres flaking and pits on #3 journal, the only one I looked at..
    Numbers 1, 2,and 3 rods are in the correct places but all others are all mixed up. Four of them are on the wrong side of the engine.
    Now I gotta pull the engine.



    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM. Reason: another picture
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea...58 Pack 289

      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

      Sorry it's a mess. Gives you a good reason to drop an LSx in.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

      Comment


      • #4
        This afternoon I pulled Buttercup's engine.
        I love my Hyster.











        Tomorrow I'll give the engine bay a good cleaning in preparation for a re-paint. I'll be going back with the original colors. A much mellower yellow with a white top.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

        See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          Does this make it a Packardbaker?
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            Does this make it a Packardbaker?
            I'm afraid it does Joe.
            Dick, I forcing myself to stay all Studebaker/Packard on this one.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

            See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

            Comment


            • #7
              Did you see where some Ass cut a hole in the firewall to access the temperature sender. There's enough room between the head and firewall to change it, why do it the hard way? Seems like extra work to me.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

              See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                Dick, I forcing myself to stay all Studebaker/Packard on this one.
                If you're forcing it, then it just ain't natural.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's one unique dual exhaust system!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    That's one unique dual exhaust system!!!!
                    Yeah, the PO said it was like that when he got the car 8 years ago. Looks no more than couple months old. I don't like it but it did allow more ground clearance. Both pipes almost fit into the batwing's hump.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

                    See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      engine removal

                      Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      Dropped the pan on Buttercup this morning, planning to roll some new bearings onto the crankshaft.
                      Man, what a mess someone has made in this engine.
                      The crankshaft looks like it was run dry a few miles. The PO said he did run it very, very hot once.
                      The rod inserts were std. when the were installed, but the crank looks like it may have been welded up, theres flaking and pits on #3 journal, the only one I looked at..
                      Numbers 1, 2,and 3 rods are in the correct places but all others are all mixed up. Four of them are on the wrong side of the engine.
                      Now I gotta pull the engine.



                      Just curious as to why you didn't pull the transmission with the engine? Dave British Columbia

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by altair View Post
                        Just curious as to why you didn't pull the transmission with the engine? Dave British Columbia
                        Just curious as to why you think I should?
                        I saw no reason to.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

                        See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Dropped the pan on Buttercup this morning, planning to roll some new bearings onto the crankshaft.
                          Man, what a mess someone has made in this engine.
                          The crankshaft looks like it was run dry a few miles. The PO said he did run it very, very hot once.
                          The rod inserts were std. when the were installed, but the crank looks like it may have been welded up, theres flaking and pits on #3 journal, the only one I looked at..
                          Numbers 1, 2,and 3 rods are in the correct places but all others are all mixed up. Four of them are on the wrong side of the engine.
                          Now I gotta pull the engine.



                          Five rods mixed up with four in the wrong bank!......Hard to believe someone could do that.......But I believe it!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            Five rods mixed up with four in the wrong bank!......Hard to believe someone could do that.......But I believe it!!
                            That's not all of it.
                            See anything wrong with these flywheel bolts?


                            Or what about this #4 main cap?
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

                            See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              That's not all of it.
                              See anything wrong with these flywheel bolts?


                              Or what about this #4 main cap?
                              Well, looks like somebody didn't want to go to the time and trouble to change the auto flpwheel bolts to std. shift. And, as for as the main cap, I have seen this happen when they were put on backwards. Was the chunk in the pan?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X