Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude V8 Repairer/Rebuilder Near NYC Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude V8 Repairer/Rebuilder Near NYC Area?

An old friend in New York tells me his cousin, who lives in NJ, near NYC and Newark, has a 61 Hawk that needs engine repair/rebuild. He's had the car a long time, and it is supposedly in very good shape, but the motor needs attention.

Does anyone know of a reputable, Stude competent mechanic anywhere near NYC, who would be interested in the job?

Thanks

In times past, we could recommend Tony Caralla's A&M Garage in The Bronx. Times have changed and, sadly, Tony is no longer with us. He was a LEGEND!
    It surprises me that someone who has "had the car a long time" has not had contact with his local SDC chapter members who could easily recommend a reputable service supplier in the vicinity.
    Not being in the area, I can't.
    However, the SDC web site can put him in touch with local Stude owners who can make their recommendations.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp
    Last edited by rockne10; 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Maybe someone from the Manhattan Chapter will chime in. I would suggest he try Ed Jones in Beachwood NJ (JTS359 here) or Witmer Automotive in Ephrata Pa. I don't think money spent to haul the car to either of them would be wasted.
      Jim
      Last edited by LarkTruck; 10-08-2013, 12:12 PM.
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I have never met the Hawk owner, but my old friend has mentioned him for the last 20 years as, "my cousin who owns a Studebaker Hawk". So I am pretty sure he's had it a long time.

Not sure whether he's in touch with local SDC chapters. Just trying to help.

Looking at SDC chapters in that area, looks like the Newark chapter is the only one with a site updated since 2012. Looking for a Stude repair shop almost seems like looking for a drug dealer; gotta know somebody that knows somebody...

Comment

Call Paul 508 361 7321 in Ct. They are good Stude folks. Is Ct too far??? I hope not because these guys know Studes.
          Tell him Jim with the 61 White Hawk said to call. It's Muntiz Garage (I'm sure the spelling is wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            ... gotta know somebody that knows somebody...
            Well, anyone with a Studebaker can take their repair issues to any local shop and play spin the bottle; same as driving a Camray or F250. Or, they can search out like-minded folks with experience related to their model and limit service to those with recommended experience. It's not unique to Studebaker. It's just a practice generally exercised by those who perceive their rides as a passionate investment.

Maybe we should start a club!
            Last edited by rockne10; 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM. Reason: sarcasm
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
              Call Paul 508 361 7321 in Ct. They are good Stude folks. Is Ct too far??? I hope not because these guys know Studes.
              Tell him Jim with the 61 White Hawk said to call. It's Muntiz Garage (I'm sure the spelling is wrong).
              Thanks,
              Will pass that contact info along. Have also PM'd JTS359.

I think the fact that its getting harder to find someone competent to work on Studes is a major factor in why older folks have to let them go, maybe a little sooner than they'd prefer. Have often thought of opening a Stude repair shop, but too busy working a full time "regular" job already. As is, its all I can do to keep up with my own Studes.
              Thanks Again,

Comment

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Witmers of Ephrata,PA. They do excellent work and are as honest as the day is long. They know all there is to know about Studes along with machining if necessary. They also have R cars as well as a diesel dumper! They've done work on six of our cars over the years.
                Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                X