radiator heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator heat

Has anyone used VR 12 cooling system protection and did you realize up to a 30 degree reduction in heat? If so, one of my 289s runs hot, on a hot day, and it sure could use a 30 degree reduction. Ken, Deltaville Va

BEfore throwing money at it, verify that the coolant is indeed overheated. use a meat thermometer in the top of the radiator, or a remote reading thermometer to check the back of the left hand cylinder bank. Also check top and bottom of the radiator when hot and running. One other thing, verify that the temp gage on the dash reads the correct temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
      BEfore throwing money at it, verify that the coolant is indeed overheated. use a meat thermometer in the top of the radiator, or a remote reading thermometer to check the back of the left hand cylinder bank. Also check top and bottom of the radiator when hot and running. One other thing, verify that the temp gage on the dash reads the correct temperature.
      Tom, it is not overheating, it runs about 10-15 degrees hotter in traffic on a hot day but has never overheated. It has a 180 thermostat and the gauge reads about 180 most of the time. I just don't like for the temperature to go up, thinning oil, while in traffic. Oil pressure is about 20 at 900-1000 rpm when engine is hottest. Having said that, I'm still interested in keeping temperature from going up thus the question about VR-12 which is being hawked on several car programs; apparently no one has used it. This is the only 289 (have several) that does this. Ken Deltaville, Va

Comment

180/190 degrees is a good water temperature.
        160/170 is too cold for many things going on inside your engine.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          180/190 degrees is a good water temperature.
          160/170 is too cold for many things going on inside your engine.

Mike
          Agree with Mike. Everything I own runs 190-195 thermostats to keep engine temps up. I don't like the downside of running an engine cooler. If oil pressure is the only worry, find an oil that makes you more comfortable.

Carnot does indeed Know!!!

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X