Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Mobil commercial featuring a Lark (sad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Mobil commercial featuring a Lark (sad)

Note the Avanti hubcaps.this was likely shot in the mid-60's after Studebaker shut down.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2hoozt-rI

Sad to see it go like that. But perhaps it helped educate motorists the dangers of high speed driving.

It was shot in Australia. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=mobil+youtube

Craig

Comment

Ouch! That hurt to watch.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That is tragic.

Comment

Geez... way to sell gasoline

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

...look at those crumpled zones....!

Comment

I can assure you that Palma's Central Service, newly-authorized Mobil retailer, would never stoop to such obscene tactics to sell Mobil gasoline and oil products:

The above photo and caption appeared in the July 28, 1956 edition of The Paris [IL] Beacon-News. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ouch! They wasted a perfectly good '62 Cruiser!
                Quick, somebody grab those Avanti Wheel Covers!

Looks like that is about all that survived.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

.......and the wheel covers stayed on! I'm borderline impressed.

Comment

What's even more sad is that they may have done this two times, maybe more, so it's possible several were destroyed.

Just after the car slides off the ramp, it starts to flip. For a brief moment the front end was free to fall while the back wheels were still supported by the ramp. Gravity pulling on the front caused the mass to start flipping in a slow, end-over-end rotation. In the later shots, it is heading straight down, like an arrow.

Either they had some kind of drag cable attached to it to get it to straighten up and fall straight down, or they made the movie with several cars.

I had a copy of an old physics book where a bright red Lark was rolled off the top of a multi-story building. In fact, the building appears to be very similar to the one in the movie. The series of still photographs shows the car in a slow flip, and it ended up crushing down on its roof. I wonder if the photographs in the physics book were stills taken during the movie shoot.

Keep in mind, how many Dodge cars were destroyed during the making of "The Dukes of Hazzard"? Some people are intent on returning iron to the earth from which it came. Sometimes asphalt intervenes.

Mark L
                    Mark L

Comment

Wow, what a waste of a nice car.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post

Keep in mind, how many Dodge cars were destroyed during the making of "The Dukes of Hazzard"? Some people are intent on returning iron to the earth from which it came. Sometimes asphalt intervenes.

Mark L
                        Exactly 321 were destoyed. The priginal one they ever got, and the one in the opening credits however has since been restored to pre-jump condition.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          It was NOT filmed in Australia. This car is clearly LHD. Also looks more like a US city.

Chris.

Comment

I know very little about physics, but I have to wonder how fast that Lark was actually falling at the point of impact. My estimate is 80 or above. I've seen in person and seen photos of total automotive carnage, and 60mph can do some damage, but this is extreme.
                            Lets take a look at Studebaker's crash test in 1954:

Again, I'm not sure exactly how fast this car was going at the point of impact, but probably somewhere around 55. Also not the wheel covers stayed on.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I clearly rememember watching this Mobil commercial on TV in the sixties...it made me mad that they picked a Studebaker to destroy. An even WORSE one involving a Studebaker Lark was the 'Dangerous Clunker' TV commercial sponsored by a big auto insurance company in the late sixties...it featured a beat up, smoking, Stude Lark...and the insurance company's message was that we'd all be safer if 'clunkers' were legislated off the roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X