Bought another '55 Cp. today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought another '55 Cp. today.

I bought her without an in-person inspection.
    Matthew did walk around her taking pictures but didn't do a close inspection.
    Matthew told everyone about her in another thread and it seems that I'm the only sucker that took the bait. I asked Matt to send me pictures of all the bad places on the car (I already know what the good places on a '55 Cp. is supposed to look like) . I don't think a digital camera will hold that many pictures, so he took pix of the worst places.
    Seems to be 98% complete. She's missing both door panels, the stainless trim for the top of the door panels, kick panels, battery (and hold down) and the speaker grill.
    But she does have an extra set of wheel covers.
    It'll be a 5 hour one way trip for OcrappyOne and myself to get her and we plan on the trip one day (maybe two days) next week.
    Deby (OcrappyOne) has already named her, BUTTERCUP. I know the name has been used many times before but naming our Studies is her job.
    Buttercup has a weak '58 Packard 289 engine with the original 3 speed overdrive tranny and the original '55 2bbl. intake and carb. If you look at the pix I have on Photobucket, http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jer...?sort=6&page=1, you'll see the original Packard 4bbl intake in the pass. floorboard.
    Six years since she was last driven. The guy I bought her from said the last time he drove her there was a light show under the dash (lots of sparks).

Pick 'er apart guys......

Although I'm a hardcore StreetRodder, I might just keep this one close to original, at least a little closer that Frosty. Y'all remember Frosty, aka Rustobaker don't you?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

You're now officially over your limit, Jerry.

Nice find! If Matthew did a pre-purchase inspection for me, I'd be VERY comfortable with the purchase.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Horrific condition, I should probably just come and get it before you get into it over your head.

Nice find and you'll make it much better, posts please.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Horrific condition, I should probably just come and get it before you get into it over your head.

Nice find and you'll make it much better, posts please.

Bob
        Oh yeah, you'll probably get daily reports from me on this one.<G>
        I can probably drive her with just a day's work but I'll have to do a little something every day to get her presentable and dependable.
        I was told the 289 has low oil pressure and when the engine is raced there's a slight rattle. I may just roll a set of rod and main bearings in and try it.
        I need a daily driver Stude.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

How much did it end going for? That i. If you don't mind me asking.

Comment

I had looked at the car with the idea of buying it for myself. At the time, the owner wasn't sure he was ready to sell or not. When he was ready, I wasn't. But it looks like the car will be back on the road soon enough.

Good deal, Jerry. The car's less than 10 miles from where I live, so maybe we can all have lunch when you come to get the car. You're welcome to come look at all of George K's Studebaker junque as well.

BTW, I think you and the seller will get along fine. The Volvo wagon in the background has a small block Mopar V8 that he shoehorned in there.
            Last edited by mbstude; 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Buttercup is the obvious name.....that car looks very promising. I look forward to your progress reports.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Quick question for the '55 aficionados....on what models was the "butter knife" chrome down the side standard?

Looks like a great start - much better than anything you could have bought at the Lambrecht auction...

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                  How much did it end going for? That i. If you don't mind me asking.
                  The seller and myself will have to keep that between us. Matt knows, but if he tells, I'll kick his arse.<G>
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    Quick question for the '55 aficionados....on what models was the "butter knife" chrome down the side standard?
                    ASFAIK, the President and Speedster had the butter knife as standard equipment. It may have been standard on the Regal Commanders and Champions, but I'm not sure.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I think Jerry got caught up in the Lambrecht madness and paid $135,000 for the car. I was only willing to go an even $100K.

Comment

He could only pay $135k if it was sitting in the woods for 50 years...

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                          I think Jerry got caught up in the Lambrecht madness and paid $135,000 for the car. I was only willing to go an even $100K.
                          Okay, now I officially owe Matt an arse kickin'. He done went and spilled the beans.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            I would rather pay 135,000 for a beat up 55 studebaker, than the same money for a chevy truck that hasn't ran since the 60's and has a dent in the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              Okay, now I officially owe Matt an arse kickin'. He done went and spilled the beans.
                              I guess I deserve that. Just look at the mess I've made.

Comment

Working...
                              X