No announcement yet.

1946 M15 Factory Dually w/ PU Bed Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 M15 Factory Dually w/ PU Bed Real?

Hi!
    I picked up a 1946 M-15 1 ton dually W/ PU bed Was told none were ever made! Yes Commander Motor added only last 4 yrs & firewall not modified & cab original to truck as far as we know! Dash tricked out by same guy who put motor in as his Bro in law owned a chrome shop!
    Any Opinions? Real Or Custom? Dick Listed some Pics on previous Topic 1946 M-15 Rear Bumper Info! As I'm just not smart enough yet on how to post pics! Thanks Dick & for any Info given! Bill Fowler

I have owned approximately 30 Studebaker trucks over the past 33+ years and have never heard of such a critter. There is no reference to the necessary fender extensions in the parts book. In order to put the question to rest you will need to obtain the production order from the Studebaker National Museum.

Comment

I have owned approximately 30 Studebaker trucks over the past 33+ years and have never heard of such a critter. There is no reference to the necessary fender extensions in the parts book. In order to put the question to rest you will need to obtain the production order from the Studebaker National Museum.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mtnmanbf
        & firewall not modified & cab original to truck as far as we know!
        The Commander motor is substantially longer than the Champion 6 that M15's came with. It WILL NOT fit in an M15 (or M5) without substantial modification to the firewall. The EASY way to switch to a Commander in an M15 or M5 is to replace the M15 (or M5) cab with the plentiful M16 cab. The only difference between the M15/M5 cab and the M16 cab is the indention on the firewall on the M16 cab. Yours is definitely an M16 cab. Here's a stock M15/M5 firewall...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mtnmanbf
          & firewall not modified & cab original to truck as far as we know!
          The Commander motor is substantially longer than the Champion 6 that M15's came with. It WILL NOT fit in an M15 (or M5) without substantial modification to the firewall. The EASY way to switch to a Commander in an M15 or M5 is to replace the M15 (or M5) cab with the plentiful M16 cab. The only difference between the M15/M5 cab and the M16 cab is the indention on the firewall on the M16 cab. Yours is definitely an M16 cab. Here's a stock M15/M5 firewall...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Guys!
            Thanks for the info! I have ordered a production order, takes a while I guess. Info I have tracked down! Original owner bought new in 46 & when it left dealership it had bed fenders Etc maybe done by dealer & was a Dually with these wheels (rims) on it! It had to come from factory to be a dually as it has a dually frt end & rearend as they are different from reg 1 tons right? Owner before me did all interior work & put in bigger commander motor as original champion motor stuck from sitting 30 yrs! He says never modified firewall it was like that! Have you ever heard of a m-15 having a m-16 cab maybe by mistake from factory maybe they ran out & used what they had? I really don't care as I make custom Hot Rods & don't mind not being original as its one Cool truck the way it is! will post the production order info when I get it! tks again for you time & such a great site! Bill Fowler

Comment

Hi Guys!
              Thanks for the info! I have ordered a production order, takes a while I guess. Info I have tracked down! Original owner bought new in 46 & when it left dealership it had bed fenders Etc maybe done by dealer & was a Dually with these wheels (rims) on it! It had to come from factory to be a dually as it has a dually frt end & rearend as they are different from reg 1 tons right? Owner before me did all interior work & put in bigger commander motor as original champion motor stuck from sitting 30 yrs! He says never modified firewall it was like that! Have you ever heard of a m-15 having a m-16 cab maybe by mistake from factory maybe they ran out & used what they had? I really don't care as I make custom Hot Rods & don't mind not being original as its one Cool truck the way it is! will post the production order info when I get it! tks again for you time & such a great site! Bill Fowler

Comment

All the M series cabs are essentially the same, from a M-5 up though the few M-17's built for export. As Dick points out, the M-16 and M-17 only differed in the firewall indentation that accomodated the larger Commander motor. I would not find it all surprising that a dealer made such a conversion, many trucks that were ultimately sold as flatbeds were delivered as cab and chassis units and the dealer installed the bed.

Comment

All the M series cabs are essentially the same, from a M-5 up though the few M-17's built for export. As Dick points out, the M-16 and M-17 only differed in the firewall indentation that accomodated the larger Commander motor. I would not find it all surprising that a dealer made such a conversion, many trucks that were ultimately sold as flatbeds were delivered as cab and chassis units and the dealer installed the bed.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

The ONLY M series truck with a 120" wheelbase was an M15. They came with the pick up box (it was a slightly longer box than the M5's). M15's came with the small firewall cab and the champion engine. In order for a dealer to do a conversion to something like Bill owns, they would have to replace the cab and the engine. This would be a lot of work and expensive even back in the day.

The only other way would be to shorten a 128" wheelbase M16 to 120" and install the pick up box. Bill's truck does have the front fender spacers that came on an M16 but not on an M15, so it might be possible, but again a lot of work. Also, I think he said his data plate read M15A-20.

I'll stick with my theory that a previous owner built this truck from an M15A-20. Replaced the cab with an M16 cab, replaced the Champion engine with a Commander, added the front fender spacers, added the dual rear wheels and modified the rear fenders.

It is a beautiful job, BTW.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

The ONLY M series truck with a 120" wheelbase was an M15. They came with the pick up box (it was a slightly longer box than the M5's). M15's came with the small firewall cab and the champion engine. In order for a dealer to do a conversion to something like Bill owns, they would have to replace the cab and the engine. This would be a lot of work and expensive even back in the day.

The only other way would be to shorten a 128" wheelbase M16 to 120" and install the pick up box. Bill's truck does have the front fender spacers that came on an M16 but not on an M15, so it might be possible, but again a lot of work. Also, I think he said his data plate read M15A-20.

I'll stick with my theory that a previous owner built this truck from an M15A-20. Replaced the cab with an M16 cab, replaced the Champion engine with a Commander, added the front fender spacers, added the dual rear wheels and modified the rear fenders.

It is a beautiful job, BTW.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Dick!
                        Went up to cabin last night! Tag on firewall says M-15 But screwed in! Yes Front fenders have small spacers on them & back ones do also then back has Large Sparcers for Dually Wheels! Still confused if M-16 Cab & still no production order & Both Vin tag says m15-20
                        Tks Bill

Comment

Hi Dick!
                          Went up to cabin last night! Tag on firewall says M-15 But screwed in! Yes Front fenders have small spacers on them & back ones do also then back has Large Sparcers for Dually Wheels! Still confused if M-16 Cab & still no production order & Both Vin tag says m15-20
                          Tks Bill

Comment

Seems that I recall, maybe from the June 1986 TW article on the M seroes, that putting the Commander motor in the M15 was a factory option. I remember it because it was the first time I had ever heard of it and that I wished my M15A had the big 6 in it. Rereading the article by Fred Fox might shed some light and besides, it is a wonderful resource.

Bill Elbert

59 4E11
                            58 Champion
                            57 3E11
                            48 M16
                            46 M15
                            41 M5

Comment

Seems that I recall, maybe from the June 1986 TW article on the M seroes, that putting the Commander motor in the M15 was a factory option. I remember it because it was the first time I had ever heard of it and that I wished my M15A had the big 6 in it. Rereading the article by Fred Fox might shed some light and besides, it is a wonderful resource.

Bill Elbert

59 4E11
                              58 Champion
                              57 3E11
                              48 M16
                              46 M15
                              41 M5

Comment

Working...
                              X