$40,000 Hawk with rusty frame[ebay]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $40,000 Hawk with rusty frame[ebay]

Here's a great looking '61 Hawk from outward appearance,but view the slideshow and I think the car needs a new frame.So much rust,the undercoating can't hide it.But,the seller says he sees 'no rust under the car..Buyer Beware.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGI...QQcmdZViewItem

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    Oglesby,Il.

I must say, you have better eyes than I do. From what I can see of the frame, it looks good to me.

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

I must say, you have better eyes than I do. From what I can see of the frame, it looks good to me.

Mark Anderson
      1965 Cruiser
      http://home.alltel.net/anderm
      Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Looks OK to me although I would like to see more pics of the frame. only nits I could find to pick:

1) heater is bypassed, I bet the valve and/or core are leaking, easy fix
        2) too much undercoating on the underside, would prefer just paint - it might be perfectly fine underneath but who can really tell from pics?
        3) looks like someone hooked onto the front crossmember to tie the car to a trailer, hurts to see that
        4) as nice as that car looks, the speedo and tach not being perfectly level really stands out

would like to see more pics of the rear of the frame where they usually rust also floor pans before spending big $$ for the car, but a) I'm not bidding anyway and b) I didn't really see anything to tip me off that there *was* a problem, I'd just like assurance that there *wasn't* one.

That said, a black '61 4-speed with a red interior really makes my ears wiggle.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Looks OK to me although I would like to see more pics of the frame. only nits I could find to pick:

1) heater is bypassed, I bet the valve and/or core are leaking, easy fix
          2) too much undercoating on the underside, would prefer just paint - it might be perfectly fine underneath but who can really tell from pics?
          3) looks like someone hooked onto the front crossmember to tie the car to a trailer, hurts to see that
          4) as nice as that car looks, the speedo and tach not being perfectly level really stands out

would like to see more pics of the rear of the frame where they usually rust also floor pans before spending big $$ for the car, but a) I'm not bidding anyway and b) I didn't really see anything to tip me off that there *was* a problem, I'd just like assurance that there *wasn't* one.

That said, a black '61 4-speed with a red interior really makes my ears wiggle.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

For 40 grand on a '61 Hawk I would hope to have seats without rips and holes, a dash that was fully painted, a drivers side kick panel that was in place, a fully detailed engine compartment (with correct clamps and hoses that don't show signs of leaking), etc. At least it has a battery hold down.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

For 40 grand on a '61 Hawk I would hope to have seats without rips and holes, a dash that was fully painted, a drivers side kick panel that was in place, a fully detailed engine compartment (with correct clamps and hoses that don't show signs of leaking), etc. At least it has a battery hold down.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

There is something strange going on in the typical frame rust area.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                64 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Scotsman
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

There is something strange going on in the typical frame rust area.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  64 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Scotsman
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It 'tis a good-looking car, but for 40k, I would also expect to see a complete stainless-steel exhaust system, too.

Comment

It 'tis a good-looking car, but for 40k, I would also expect to see a complete stainless-steel exhaust system, too.

Comment

It's this shot that would make me worry too...

What is on the slide show isn't necessarily in the still pictures, and the speed on the slide show is rather fast. Too fast. It almost looks like the car was undercoated to cover up rust issues, or is this a quick and dirty POR-15 job? It's like you'll spend big money and when you're unhappy the reply will be, "Well, it was in the pictures...".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It's this shot that would make me worry too...

What is on the slide show isn't necessarily in the still pictures, and the speed on the slide show is rather fast. Too fast. It almost looks like the car was undercoated to cover up rust issues, or is this a quick and dirty POR-15 job? It's like you'll spend big money and when you're unhappy the reply will be, "Well, it was in the pictures...".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Oh boy, I can't wait for mine to be finished and I can get 40,000 to boot[]I have two 61 hawks and never knewgood looking car but 40,000 come on

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Oh boy, I can't wait for mine to be finished and I can get 40,000 to boot[]I have two 61 hawks and never knewgood looking car but 40,000 come on

Studebakers forever!
                              Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                              X