Which to build : 259 or 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which to build : 259 or 289

I spent some time over the weekend scraping and removing freeze plugs from a 259 V8 block I have had on an engine stand for quite a while. The block has a small ridge and looks fairly clean inside. If I was really cheap I should have put it back together years ago just to get by.

What I am debating is the question of 259 or 289. The transmission I will probably use is a T86 three speed I built from a standard wagoneer transmission and a taxi transmission. I have a R series cam regrind on the shelf and I have a 259 NOS crank which I could buy standard bearings if I go the 259 route plus new pistons.

I have a 289 crank that needs machining, how much I have no idea but I would also need bearings, pistons and the works.

Costs may be equal in the long run due to price differences in pistons and the like...

Which would you build?

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

My wallet at the gas pump says 259.
    My right foot says 289.
    Your foot and wallet might have a different opinion[}]
    Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My wallet at the gas pump says 259.
      My right foot says 289.
      Your foot and wallet might have a different opinion[}]
      Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You shouldn't get much worse milage with the "bigger" engine.
        The more inches the better!

Mike

Comment

You shouldn't get much worse milage with the "bigger" engine.
          The more inches the better!

Mike

Comment

I woul d say it depends on what you want out of the car. If it's a daily driver type of car, I'd go with the 259. If you are looking for something you plan on leaning on, I'd do a 289.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I woul d say it depends on what you want out of the car. If it's a daily driver type of car, I'd go with the 259. If you are looking for something you plan on leaning on, I'd do a 289.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have a 259 in the Transtar, and in Omaha I was ahead of in both runs of my Brother's R-1 Champ pickup. With him catching me only because of the bad shifting job I was doing. Gas I know for a fact that having 2 duces on the Transtar eats more gas then a 4 barrel. Plus in Charlotte at the Drags I did beat other Stock 289 Larks and almost a Sleeping guy at the Wheel in a Avanti, but was it luck, or the truck. . . getting a good head start really helps! I would rather have a 289 but very happy with the 259 for now. . . check the parts cost then decide for yourself. In my case I may even put back in the 224 with a little modication. [}]

Rick Courtier

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                1956 Transtar
                1905 Farm Wagon
                Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

I have a 259 in the Transtar, and in Omaha I was ahead of in both runs of my Brother's R-1 Champ pickup. With him catching me only because of the bad shifting job I was doing. Gas I know for a fact that having 2 duces on the Transtar eats more gas then a 4 barrel. Plus in Charlotte at the Drags I did beat other Stock 289 Larks and almost a Sleeping guy at the Wheel in a Avanti, but was it luck, or the truck. . . getting a good head start really helps! I would rather have a 289 but very happy with the 259 for now. . . check the parts cost then decide for yourself. In my case I may even put back in the 224 with a little modication. [}]

Rick Courtier

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                  1956 Transtar
                  1905 Farm Wagon
                  Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                  1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

I only see one downside to every one's suggestion of going with the 289.
                    That would be your statement that you are using a T-86!

IF you could find a '58 Golden Hawk long tail T-85 (slide-in driveshaft yoke) extremely RARE transmission, (or maybe one from a Ford or Mercury), or a T-10 4 speed, those can take the torque, but not a T-86!

The T-86 is NOT a good choice for a modified 289, maybe a 2 brl. 289 that is driven very normal would work, but anything more than that, and you are past the strength limits of the T-86!

For that reason, I am thinking the 259 is a better choice! [^]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I only see one downside to every one's suggestion of going with the 289.
                      That would be your statement that you are using a T-86!

IF you could find a '58 Golden Hawk long tail T-85 (slide-in driveshaft yoke) extremely RARE transmission, (or maybe one from a Ford or Mercury), or a T-10 4 speed, those can take the torque, but not a T-86!

The T-86 is NOT a good choice for a modified 289, maybe a 2 brl. 289 that is driven very normal would work, but anything more than that, and you are past the strength limits of the T-86!

For that reason, I am thinking the 259 is a better choice! [^]

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hi, Rich,

Agree completly with your assertion. The T86 is not as strong as the T85/T10. Also agree the long-tailshaft T85 is very rare. I have stockpiled a half-dozen short-tailshaft versions, as they are becoming rare also. I personally prefer the T85 for normal street driving over the T10. In most combinations, the overdrive on the T85 is preferrable to the synchro first gear and quicker shifts of the T10

Having said that, Stude installed the T86 behind thousands of 289" engines. How long a T86 will live behind a modified 289" usually depends on having a Hurst floor shift properly adjusted. The OEM column linkage usually has so much slack from fifty years of wear, it will sometimes hang up between gears if a fast shift is forced. A correctly adjusted clutch will help also. A. concious driver can live long and prosper with a T86 overdrive/289".

thnx, jv

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Hi, Rich,

Agree completly with your assertion. The T86 is not as strong as the T85/T10. Also agree the long-tailshaft T85 is very rare. I have stockpiled a half-dozen short-tailshaft versions, as they are becoming rare also. I personally prefer the T85 for normal street driving over the T10. In most combinations, the overdrive on the T85 is preferrable to the synchro first gear and quicker shifts of the T10

Having said that, Stude installed the T86 behind thousands of 289" engines. How long a T86 will live behind a modified 289" usually depends on having a Hurst floor shift properly adjusted. The OEM column linkage usually has so much slack from fifty years of wear, it will sometimes hang up between gears if a fast shift is forced. A correctly adjusted clutch will help also. A. concious driver can live long and prosper with a T86 overdrive/289".

thnx, jv

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

i think the t-86 will hold up fine under normal driving conditions and the occasional jack rabbit start. my hawk has a t-86od n a 289 in it and i give it regular beatings and it seems fine. it looks to me like your are staying with a mild cam and compression so you could build either i would build the 289 whats 30 more cubic inches??? you will gain good torque from the extra stroke.
                            if you were asking which a 259 or a 304 maybe its not the same awnser but the 289 will be fine with the t-86....

Erin Hays
                            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                            RZRECTD
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Lark
                            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

i think the t-86 will hold up fine under normal driving conditions and the occasional jack rabbit start. my hawk has a t-86od n a 289 in it and i give it regular beatings and it seems fine. it looks to me like your are staying with a mild cam and compression so you could build either i would build the 289 whats 30 more cubic inches??? you will gain good torque from the extra stroke.
                              if you were asking which a 259 or a 304 maybe its not the same awnser but the 289 will be fine with the t-86....

Erin Hays
                              "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                              RZRECTD
                              1961 Hawk
                              1962 Lark
                              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X