Black Avanti on Ebay....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Avanti on Ebay....

Anyone here bidding on this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...item53fe39151f

I 've tried emailing the seller and haven't had any response...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

He's been out of town. I just got off the phone with him. I'm going to see the car tomorrow. I will report on the condition and the overall representation of the ad. Dan sounds like a great guy and I think this car will live up to the pictures. I'll see if he'll let me stretch the Avanti's legs out on the open highway. Let's see if I can peg that speedometer, eh???
    Actually, I don't think he's allowing any joy rides, but I will see if he will take me out for a spin in it.

Just a note... I'm not interested in buying it, but I will be happy to report on it to anyone looking.
    sals54

Comment

Nice car!...Interesting, the normal 'R' type oil pan breather tube seems to be missing, and a PCV valve is plugged into the right rocker arm cover breather cap. Never saw that done before!

Comment

Work made me miss him today. Going back tomorrow. Will report on findings.
        sals54

Comment

I like the solid red interior, without the fawn it looks much more modern. A red dash would have been too much.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I'm a sucker for black cars with red interiors...
            Sweet looking Avanti...
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              [COLOR=#000080][B]I'm a sucker for black cars with red interiors...
              Sweet looking Avanti...
              Jeff
              I guess that I am too. Every time that I buy a new black car, I say never again.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, the visit went well. The owner is a gem of a guy.
                The car is nicer than I expected. Sometimes a car looks "too good" in the ebay ad and assorted pictures. This car is breathtaking. There is simply no way that you could buy an Avanti and build it to this level for what you could buy this car for. Although the colors are not stock. And the chromed items under the hood are not stock. And the chromed trunk hinges and striker are not stock. And the upholstery is not stock... etc etc etc. Everything on the car is fabulous. I did not want to ask if I could drive the car, but at the end of our visit, I did ask if he would take me for a spin around the block. Not a single squeak, groan, moan, or noise out of place. The car feels solid as a rock. The doors close right, and when the windows are closed, its air tight. All the glass looks so good, its hard to imagine that its not brand new. (did PPG make all the original glass??) Thats what's in the car except for the windscreen.
                The engine starts immediately and sounds awesome. The whine of the supercharger under load matches the power put to the pavement under spirited acceleration. The shifter was surprisingly accurate. Not your typical Avanti/Stude shifter that at times causes one to wonder if the selector is in gear or swimming around somewhere in neutral.
                I looked under the car to find a clean frame with no sign of rust. The hog troughs also appear to be like new. He said the paint is a lacquer finish. While its not perfect, as a black paint job goes, its still extremely nice. I would probably bring out the buffer and do a once over with some 3M polish at a nice slow speed on the buffer. There are no dings or blemishes in the paint, just the slightest amount of normal wear. Most likely from washing and what not. It looks great.
                He has spent a lot of time tending to most all of the small items many of us take for granted in a 50 year old car. He has taken the time to make sure the interior light works, backup lights, and other details such as these.
                And just as a side note, which illustrates his attention to detail, I noticed that one of the rear shock bushings may have been broken. Before I left, he had already found a bushing in a box and had planned to replace it as soon as I left.
                Good luck if you're bidding on this car. Its fantastic. I wish I could buy it as a keeper.
                sals54

Comment

Thanks for the report! I am not currently looking (or bidding) on anything, but always nice to have a set of "Studebaker" eyes look one over for those that are interested but live too far away!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

thanks, Sal!

i wish i could make a bid...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hi, Sal,

Thanks for the overview. It is to be hoped the owner gets what he thinks fair. As you said, it would be impossible to build a car that good for what the bidding looks like.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Sal,

Perhaps it is coincidence but the price did bump a bit after you turned in the report

I really do hope your report inspired those bids. Now that we know the car excededs the photos and the seller is a first class guy, I'd like to see him do well. On the otherside, it's helping to price me out of the market. It has never hurt anyone to work a bit harder for those things they really, right?

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that. I had to honest about it though. The car is truly a beauty. I would love to have one just like it. Mine, though would be lower and probably have original size tires and rims.

My son and I had often talked about having an Avanti that we painted Mercedes Silver, red leather interior and a Benz Three Pointed Star with AMG Experimental badging on it. Just to get a rise out of the Mercedes crowd.
                          sals54

Comment

Check the FIVE other cars that he currently has on eBay.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Check the FIVE other cars that he currently has on eBay.
                              Good catch, Gary

If his reserves are in line with the BIN on the 51 Chevy HT, he could be fair in his pricing on the others.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X