Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Avanti Rear Brake Drums - what gives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti Rear Brake Drums - what gives?

Just finishing up a complete rebuild of the rear brakes, including new wheel cylinders, grease seals and brake shoes, all from SI. Thought I'd slide the hubs and drums back on just to get them out of the way while I installed the new ss brake lines. However, the drums won't fit over the new brake shoes! Neither axle. And yes, the eccentrics are backed off all the way.

Anyone else ever had this problem? And more to the point - now what???

Are the shoes against the cyls.?,maybe something wrong with the cyls.?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Is there a lip on the edge of the drum?
      Were the drums turned?
      Are the linings oversized?
      Are the wheel cylinders completely compressed?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        Were the drums turned?
        Drums were turned, but just a cleanup pass. No ridge on the turned surface that I can see. The replacement brake shoes came directly from SI - they don't show as having oversized linings in their catalog. Don't know if the cylinders are completely compressed, but the shoes are pushed together as far as the strut between them at the top of the backing plate will allow.

Comment

I was trying to think how a lip could have anything to do with the drum not passing over the shoes ?
          Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Were the drums turned?
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I know there is a difference on rear shoes between the disc brake cars and the all-drum brake cars, I don't know if it's possible to install the drum style shoes on disc equipped cars, but might be something to look at. In the "old days", brake shoes were made oversized and then ground, or arced, to the exact diameter of the drum by grinding them to fit. Some places will still do that, but that process pretty much went away when it was discovered that asbestos dust was bad.

Comment

Arching the shoes will solve your problem.............

Comment

How about the emergency brake adjustment? You should back that off as needed also.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                  How about the emergency brake adjustment? You should back that off as needed also.
                  Both emergency brake cables are presently disconnected, so they're not a factor in the positioning the brake shoes.

Comment

How much are you missing by?
                    Arcing (not "arching") the shoes MAY help.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Have you tried comparing the new shoes to the old?
                      Try measuring the OD of the shoes and the ID of the drum.
                      Also are the shoes properly seated up and down and side to side.
                      Just some random thoughts.

Comment

It would not be unusual to find some reliners using thicker lining assuming well worn and turned Drums as I have had those same type shoes not fit and had to be Arced to fit some very close to Standard Drums, you also could have your Machinist Mic the drums to see just how big they are.

You do know those are relined, as New is not available.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                          I know there is a difference on rear shoes between the disc brake cars and the all-drum brake cars, I don't know if it's possible to install the drum style shoes on disc equipped cars, but might be something to look at. In the "old days", brake shoes were made oversized and then ground, or arced, to the exact diameter of the drum by grinding them to fit. Some places will still do that, but that process pretty much went away when it was discovered that asbestos dust was bad.
                          Rear drum on disc equipped..11", rear drum on all drum equipped..10"

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            How much are you missing by?
                            Arcing (not "arching") the shoes MAY help.
                            Hard to say, but it feels like I'm close. By arcing, do you mean "bending" the brake shoes to fit the arc of the drum?

Comment

Originally posted by 37CoupeE View Post
                              Have you tried comparing the new shoes to the old?
                              Try measuring the OD of the shoes and the ID of the drum.
                              Also are the shoes properly seated up and down and side to side.
                              Just some random thoughts.
                              I've tried moving the shoes around, in, out, up down, still won't clear. I don't have the original shoes to compare - turned them in to SI when I picked up the new ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X